• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VSD Not Mentioned in NAMI

Zamerica

Hello Everyone,
I am a high school student who is very interested in becoming a Naval Aviator. However, I was born with a Ventricular Septal Defect (normal EKG and hemodynamically insignificant). I understand this condition is disqualifying and it will require a waiver. Upon further discussion with a current Naval Officer, he pointed me to look at the NAMI for guidance about the waiverability of my condition for aviation. To my surprise VSD is not even mentioned in NAMI. Can someone please explain why? Does anyone have experience with this type of heart condition in the Navy? Thanks and God Bless!

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
The workup and disposition of VSD was in prior versions of the Aeromedical Waiver Guide. As it isn't now, that implies that either no waivers are entertained for that condition, or that it is so uncommon that dispositions are made on a case-by-case basis.

As I recall, patent VSD was disqualifying, no waiver recommended. If the VSD had been repaired, or spontaneously closed, echocardiography documenting closure and absence of other structural abnormalities and cardiology consultation was required as part of the waiver package. I don't think we ever saw a case while I was at NAMI.

Might want to have your recruiter contact the internal medicine department or the physical standards branch at NAMI to get a sense of which way the winds are blowing.

R/

Zamerica

The workup and disposition of VSD was in prior versions of the Aeromedical Waiver Guide. As it isn't now, that implies that either no waivers are entertained for that condition, or that it is so uncommon that dispositions are made on a case-by-case basis.

As I recall, patent VSD was disqualifying, no waiver recommended. If the VSD had been repaired, or spontaneously closed, echocardiography documenting closure and absence of other structural abnormalities and cardiology consultation was required as part of the waiver package. I don't think we ever saw a case while I was at NAMI.

Might want to have your recruiter contact the internal medicine department or the physical standards branch at NAMI to get a sense of which way the winds are blowing.

R/
So what your saying is that if it was not repaired or closed naturally I have little to no shot at a waiver? Mine has not been closed. I looked at the flight surgeon's Manuel and found a clause that states that an asymptomatic VSD is compatible with Naval Aviation. I've never had any problems and I have no pulmonary hypertension.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    282.1 KB · Views: 7

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
No, what I'm saying is that every condition known to man isn't covered in the waiver guide. The guide was designed to address the sort of thing the average Navy flight surgeon might encounter.

As said, a phone call from your recruiter to NAMI would be able to answer your question. I would recommend that call before you went much further. If NAMI isn't recommending waivers for unrepaired VSD in candidates, you haven't spent a lot of time and effort going down a pathway with no chance of a favorable outcome. If they are amenable to recommending a waiver if certain conditions are met, you will then have a map to the workup needed to try for a waiver recommendation.

R/