• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vol Term effects

Unknown

Hello warriors. I am in a bad spot right now and am wondering its effects later down the line. The most recent searching found a thread from 2011, but things may be different now with the airline shortage. Plus wanted some new perspective.

I have been told from day 1 in the squadron that my stick skills are better than my peers. I can talk on the radios no problem, handle emergencies, fly approaches, etc. Unfortunately, my ability in the CAS environment leaves something to be desired. I would like to pursue an aviation career in the future where my ability to lead a section in CAS is not a requirement. With the commercial shortage, does anyone have any knowledge or experience on how a vol term will affect me (i.e. had a friend in the same situation, know of any success stories). I'm at the point where my paths are leading to either an FFPB or a vol term.

I'm prior enlisted with 2 1/2 years remaining on my contract and 3 years left until retirement. I plan to use my commercial license with a local flying club to remain current and build some hours in a Cessna or something similar.

If you know who I am, please retain my anonymity. Thanks.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I can speak to the process on the Marine side of the house- though my experience is from 2014.

Slingblade

Huge Member
pilot
Just haven't met the right instructor maybe. What's your platform? What's difficult for you in the CAS environment? I don't think I could ever volterm. I'd make them make the decision. I know it's not fun sometimes especially when you're having difficulties but I assume you worked pretty hard to get to where your at.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
I'm sure this is community dependent, but by just a hunch, it sounds like something in VMFA or VMA land. There are guys who have left the HMLA with out picking up section lead. Granted, they'll never fly a Cobra or Huey (...or another gray aircraft at that) again, but they weren't getting FFPB'd. I can't imagine an airline looking too fondly on a former military pilot who had his flying orders terminated or turned in his wings. That being said, it seems like if you have the right kind of FW hours, are carbon based life form, and have a pulse...the airliners will take you.

Unknown

I was up to the 3303 and couldn't get past it. Battle tracking notional friendlies, running 5 lines at the controls, assessing geometry, etc. Some of it isn't necessarily difficulties, just missing it if I get behind. Some of it I've fixed: JLASE comms, attack calls, switchology. But it seems to me that the remedial syllabus devised for me was more so to provide the appropriate documentation to back a decision (I had never failed an event before 3303). Granted I did get two RAT syllabi prior to the unsat. I did however pass the HC test and board first go at them.

I get what the command is doing, whether I like it or not. I'm a year away from orders and have not made HC. But as stated, I can see from the first remedial two events that I unsatted that I will not pass these events. I was told I would have to be flawless to pass. In any case, rather than be miserable redoing almost all of the 3000 level syllabus just so I can get FFPBed, I decided to move on.

The question really becomes, do I spend the money to build hours on the civilian side with the hopes of getting hired on by an airline? Or would I be wasting money?

Treetop Flyer

pilot
So you're a helo guy? Building hours in light civil aircraft would be useful for getting your ATP or restricted ATP mins, but not much else. Major airlines consider currency being paid to fly a complex aircraft. If you don't already have a bunch of fixed wing time, you won't be competitive for a major anyway, but spending a few years at a regional may get you there. Either way, an FFPB or quitting won't look good I imagine.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
I was up to the 3303 and couldn't get past it. Battle tracking notional friendlies, running 5 lines at the controls, assessing geometry, etc. Some of it isn't necessarily difficulties, just missing it if I get behind. Some of it I've fixed: JLASE comms, attack calls, switchology. But it seems to me that the remedial syllabus devised for me was more so to provide the appropriate documentation to back a decision (I had never failed an event before 3303). Granted I did get two RAT syllabi prior to the unsat. I did however pass the HC test and board first go at them.

I get what the command is doing, whether I like it or not. I'm a year away from orders and have not made HC. But as stated, I can see from the first remedial two events that I unsatted that I will not pass these events. I was told I would have to be flawless to pass. In any case, rather than be miserable redoing almost all of the 3000 level syllabus just so I can get FFPBed, I decided to move on.

The question really becomes, do I spend the money to build hours on the civilian side with the hopes of getting hired on by an airline? Or would I be wasting money?

Well in your progression you're definitely behind the power curve at 3 years, and a year out from orders, I can understand why a command would initiate a FFPB. If you're dead set on the airlines now, I honestly don't think the airliners will really care all that much. A) They don't really care about RW time, and B) CAS is not a transferable skill set that applies to flying in the regionals like Treetop said. I'd say go for it, and make a plan in order to get to where you want. Understand your commitments once you get a new MOS, and then plan accordingly. Certain MOS may require additional service obligations, which may screw up your plans. It's going to be awhile before anything happens because volterm or FFPB are quite lengthy processes. You'll probably get stashed at MAG or Wing so be prepared for a bullshit job while you wait out your fate. Also, don't be a dickhead. Keep a good attitude and people will be more understanding/willing to help you get what you want.

Unknown

Thanks, that was my thought as well. I've kept a good attitude towards people, and several have told me they like me when I was talking about the decision. Plus, I think I have the XO in my corner. So I don't feel any ill will toward anyone anyways. I'm not an idiot; I understand the need for the right people doing this job. If I'm not the guy... It does suck and I loved flying gray aircraft, it just isn't in the cards for me anymore.

My plan was to try to go the regional route and work my way up the line. Like you said, I just didn't want my lack of CAS ability to translate in their minds to lack of pilot ability.