• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vision Correction

Iron Maiden

What is the current gouge regarding PRK vs. Lasik for a Midshipman looking to go Aviation? Do you need a waiver and is Lasik approved or do you still need to get into a Lasik study?

There is conflicting info being passed in our unit. Any help appreciated!

bedwellm

PRO-REC'D SNA AND SWO!!!
Do a quick search through out this forum and you'll get plenty of information. When I searched for just LASIK, a couple of posts popped up. They should have more than enough information for ya! ;)

jtmedli

pilot
Just get PRK...it's 'better' than LASIK for all intensive purposes despite the increased healing time. I'm not sure why this question comes up so often. I guess people are afraid of PRK or something.

bedwellm

PRO-REC'D SNA AND SWO!!!
Just get PRK...it's 'better' than LASIK for all intensive purposes despite the increased healing time. I'm not sure why this question comes up so often. I guess people are afraid of PRK or something.

Come to find out, PRK is the "authorized" correction compared to LASIK because of the whole flap issue. I was not told either way to go when considering the procedures and was not warned that I might not qualify for Pilot upon getting LASIK. Come to find out, there is a study now for LASIK and I believe that is the ONLY reason why I've been PRO-REC'd for SNA. So don't think that getting LASIK is the end all, just make sure that someone knows that you're potentially going for a program that requires a certain requirement and be open to all of your options. Good luck!

bob88899

The Air Force has fully certified Lasik for pilot, the waiver is just like if you were getting PRK. I think the navy will follow suit soon.. but as you said they navy is still studying lasik.

PR1 H

Perpetually fixing cranial/rectal inversions
The Air Force has fully certified Lasik for pilot, the waiver is just like if you were getting PRK. I think the navy will follow suit soon.. but as you said they navy is still studying lasik.

Oooooh.... bad form man. On a Naval Aviation web forum, you capitalize AF as you should... but left Navy uncapped. tsk tsk. :eek: