• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Various PRK types (Custom vs Standard)

AirGuy

I hear there are different methods to remove the epithelial layer during PRK. Is there one that perhaps takes away less corneal tissue? I heard custom takes away more corneal tissue but I can't confirm this.

There's so much info on LASIK but not as much on PRK.

I'm trying to get the type that takes away the least amount of corneal tissue so that way, if need be, I could get PRK again later in life.

afsf1

These are questions you should definitely be asking surgeons around the area. I would highly recommend wavefront (or whatever the new custom process is), and I would definitely shop around and do research on which facility has the newest/'best' laser.

AirGuy

These are questions you should definitely be asking surgeons around the area. I would highly recommend wavefront (or whatever the new custom process is), and I would definitely shop around and do research on which facility has the newest/'best' laser.
In my area every surgeon from every practice I have been uses the exact same laser at the same laser center. One surgeon told me that at my age, he usually doesn't perform PRK. He also served in the Navy, and he said that if I really wanted to for career purposes then he could overcorrect me slightly because there is a high chance of regression and the overcorrection would work in my advantage.

TBH, the others just seemed to want money. They were saying "it's perfectly safe and normally doesn't regress." And they told me I could get some 1k off if I get the surgery before the end of the month.

Do you think it would look bad if I went to a bunch of surgeons and then picked one and came back to the same center and they would all know? (I plan on going with a surgeon not affiliated with the center). So I hope they won't be mad.