• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

V/r vs. R/

Buffmeyer

In the manner of uniforms, all-caps msg traffic being shicanned and what seem to be so many knee-jerk, surprise and sweeping changes to our culture and tradition, is the growing blurring of V/r vs. R/ in correspondence. In our current postmodern state, everything is questioned to ridiculous extremes - just wait for the next Navy Times article on “Why have uniforms?” or “Do we need officers anymore?” and you’ll see what I mean. So since nobody reads the correspondence manual anymore, do I just throw in the towel and go for some new age, all-encompassing closing or...?

In our noble mission to not hurt feelings and to create max efficiency in front of the glowing box where many of us weenier types spend the majority of our days prioritizing, reprioritizing and chasing our tails in glorious admin, it seems there is a subtle yet lethal movement to kill off the R/, used in closing from senior to junior, and just V/r’ing everyone. Now I will say the first time I saw a bigwig V/r lowly old me, I was pretty impressed, good feels etc.

Now I’m no snob and I keep in mind the good I’ve had along the way and try to deal with everyone on the distant end as human but acknowledge comms, verbal, texted, phoned or otherwise emailed are seldom perfect (I hit the recall button every now and then and it’s always cringed but...). However it’s getting generational- and more chaotic with things I’ve seen: R/s (subtle put down or just USMC thing?) W/r (peer to peer?!), Regards, Most respectfully, the obnoxious “V/r and R/“ closing etc. etc. V/r and R/ are probably going the way everything else is headed - neutered. We were taught to do it V/r up the chain and R/ down.

So does anyone care anymore, does it even matter? What do you use?

(Postscript on change: I will say getting a PT uniform was a good move though, although urban cammies was a bit of a stretch. All foreign navies that quickly ran with the blue camo will now start shedding it, wait and see.)

Last edited:

GlassBanger

IntelO
Contributor
What the hell did I just read lol. I emailed the admin address provided on the OTCN website for clarification on check-in day because it is a holiday and a lot of us in 02SEP have been told different things, and received my answer from an LT there signed "V/R and her full email signature LT first and last name". So for whatever that's worth for this topic. I sign everything when I worked law enforcement with "Thank you,". Much better than deputies and detectives replying haphazardly on their email apps and not even signing it lol. For my inquiry regarding check in, I signed it with "Thank you for your time,"

Edit: added some stuff

Last edited:

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
I'll bite, he's not crazy for bringing this topic up. Having an engineering background, I also overthink the shit out of things. Somewhere I learned as a lowly ENS the distinction of V/R vs R and thought that was just how things were meant to be done. Then one day early in my fleet squadron I cc'd a buddy of mine on something to one of my enlisted and he gave me shit about the R. As much as I love the guy, he's kind of a goofball so I took it with a grain of salt.

Fast forward and I work directly for 3 O-6s who, as OP has also experienced, all sign their shit V/R. Not only V/R, but "V/R, Firstname."

So I said fuck it, this shit doesn't matter. So I sign "V/R, callsign" to everyone. Nobody gives a shit and I've realized there's a lot more important shit to worry about than how I signed a god damn email.

In fact, fuck email. And cell phones. I have this vague notion there were some glory days in Naval Aviation when you could be off work and unreachable. If any of us turned our phones off for a week, I guarantee someone would be upset.

*cue old airline guy telling us to go to the show*

Very Unrespectfully,
R5

GlassBanger

IntelO
Contributor
Great. I have a gold medal in overthinking but this was like one thing I didn't even consider. Now I do. Thanks guys lol

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
R/ when addressing juniors and V/R when addressing seniors and most civilians. That is the standard. That said, if someone turns a deviation from said standard into a significant emotional event, then their priorities need to be reexamined.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Mine are all “Very Respectfully” to everyone.
Then I don’t have to fucking think about it.

Unless it’s someone I know on a firstname/callsign basis.

Then it’s “Cheers, Pickle”

At the end of the day, if someone is enough of a pedantic douchebag to bother you about your V’s and your r’s, they probably aren’t worth listening to because everyone else will know they are a pedantic douchebag.

Pickle

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Mine are all “Very Respectfully” to everyone.
Then I don’t have to fucking think about it.

Unless it’s someone I know on a firstname/callsign basis.

Then it’s “Cheers, Pickle”

At the end of the day, if someone is enough of a pedantic douchebag to bother you about your V’s and your r’s, they probably aren’t worth listening to because everyone else will know they are a pedantic douchebag.

Pickle
You didn't say cheers...

exNavyOffRec

R/ when addressing juniors and V/R when addressing seniors and most civilians. That is the standard. That said, if someone turns a deviation from said standard into a significant emotional event, then their priorities need to be reexamined.

about 15 years ago one of the LCDR's a senior guy, in our department rec'd an email from a department YN and he put R instead or V/R, instead of talking to him about the error he lost his shit on the YN3, bad for the LCDR and good for the YN3 the Dept head heard it, so the the LCDR rec'd a 1 on 1 with the Dept Head.