• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USNA ESSAY

IstvanP

Please any constructive criticism will be welcomed thank you.
Essay:
My initial interest in the Navy was sparked by my maternal great-grandfather, who served on the USS Bowfin and at the Academy as a Senior Chief, and paternal grandfather, who fought in the Hungarian Revolution of 1956 against the Soviet Union who immigrated to the United States to find his sought freedoms. I wish to carry on my family’s tradition of service to the cause of liberty and freedom by serving in the Navy. I have looked up to our sailors and soldiers in uniform since I was very young. They represented the zenith of serving a higher calling. I have always wanted to join the ranks of the elite in defending our nation and its values from threats.
Admiral Mahan’s treatise on sea power reflects the importance of naval power in protecting the interests of the United States. The conflicts of tomorrow will be drastically different from what they are today and the Navy will need to adapt and overcome these new challenges. Consequently, to confront and overcome an ever-shifting field of conflict, I believe the Navy will need to have a strong intelligence capabilities with officers that: are multi-lingual, historically knowledgeable, and able strategists; areas of interest to me.
I want to become a Naval Intelligence Officer to aid my fellow sailors and protect my countrymen. The Academy demands great character, while teaching critical thinking. The cutting edge curriculum taught in an environment steeped in naval tradition is essential to reaching my goals. That is, to become a highly successful, knowledgeable professional, and officer in the United States Navy-- a servant to my country.
Hurricane Katrina made landfall near the town of Buras, Louisiana on August 29th 2005. Death and destruction followed in its wake. The town of Buras was utterly destroyed. To help our fellow Americans, my father and I headed to the devastated town the next spring with a church group to help rebuild the basic infrastructure of the area. The Pastor related how after the Hurricane struck everything was destroyed and how hard it was for him to start the huge task of rebuilding. I matured as an individual that spring. My character was tested over the two weeks of hostile climate, construction setbacks, and the general view of how little of a difference we were making in the scheme of things. I gained an important insight into my own person and a change of my character. I realized that by training my mind to accomplish my goal, I gain courage in the face of adversity and integrity to continue upon the course I laid out for myself. I gained the integrity to force my body through the path laid out by my mind. The ability to force oneself to continue along a course even though it is difficult is the defining aspect of a leader, one I continue to strive to meet and exceed.