• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USNA Curriculum

I see that there are certain classes required as a plebe at USNA. I also read that one begins major study in his or her second year.

However, what if someone is a physics or engineering major? I do not see that physics or engineering classes are required the first year.

I understand that USNA only accepts America's finest. But, I don't see how someone can complete a physics/engineering/com sci degree in 4 years without taking the core classes in the first year.

Also, I see that the USNA website states that at least 65% of midshipmen must be STEM majors. What happens to those that don't major in those fields? What if the graduating class falls short of that threshold? Do some midshipmen then do not get commissioned after 4 years of study?

Thanks.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The core curriculum is very STEM-heavy, and everyone has to take it, even those who end up majoring in humanities. It's fundamentally an engineering school, though all the departments have very good programs.

The Academies have heavy course loads compared to most colleges. I validated some classes and still my lightest semester I had about 21 hours. That's how everyone graduates on time.

Also, I see that the USNA website states that at least 65% of midshipmen must be STEM majors. What happens to those that don't major in those fields? What if the graduating class falls short of that threshold? Do some midshipmen then do not get commissioned after 4 years of study?

No, that's not how it works. How would that even make sense? Not commissioning someone because of what their classmates chose to major in?

You're overthinking this, dude.

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
I see that there are certain classes required as a plebe at USNA. I also read that one begins major study in his or her second year.

However, what if someone is a physics or engineering major? I do not see that physics or engineering classes are required the first year.

I understand that USNA only accepts America's finest. But, I don't see how someone can complete a physics/engineering/com sci degree in 4 years without taking the core classes in the first year.

Thanks.

Not sure where you're getting this info from.

I am fairly sure I took chemistry and physics plebe year.

Also, USNA mids take a lot more credits than the average student. Pretty sure I averaged like 22-23 credits a semester. I think you have to get a signed waiver to go below 16.

Thanks for the replies. I was looking at the USNA website. Perhaps they were only displaying the required courses during plebe year. Based on your response, it'd probable that plebes take more courses than is required. 21 to 23 credits a semester, and in mostly technical classes, no less. That is quite a load indeed.

I am not certain how they would enforce the "65% STEM majors". Perhaps most students major in those subjects anyway.

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
If too many people want group 3 (non-STEM), some just get told no, pick a STEM major. I think physics was 3/C year, but everyone takes it, along with a bunch of other STEM type classes.

Thanks. So, I guess everyone who gets into USNA or gets awarded an NROTC scholarship should be prepared to major in STEM.

At most colleges, each course is typically 3-4 credits. Is the same at the Boat School? If so, does that mean middies are taking 6 or 7 classes per semester?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The core curriculum is very STEM-heavy, and everyone has to take it, even those who end up majoring in humanities. It's fundamentally an engineering school, though all the departments have very good programs.

Aren't all degrees awarded by Annapolis BS's no matter the major?

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
and physics, and chemistry, and some wonky weapons systems class and probably some other decidedly sciencey stuff I can't remember.... If you loathe science an math, you're gonna have a bad time.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And, even history majors need to take and pass that electrical engineering class?

There are a couple of variants of EE, including one for Group III (humanities) majors, aka "Shocks for Jocks". But yes, the core is very heavily hard science/engineering, and it's not just plebe year. I think it's wasn't until junior year that the majority of my semester hours were in my major. Off the top of my head, there's three semesters of chem, one or two of physics, naval architecture, probs/stats, calc, weapons engineering and prob some others I'm blocking out. Plus two semesters of English and one history (Navy History 101 type thing). Group III majors also have to take four semesters of foreign language.

... If you loathe science an math, you're gonna have a bad time.

I had a bad time.

How do these guys and gals juggle all these hard core classes and participate in mandatory sports activities? How do the students who are part of the intercollegiate sports have time to even study? If you're not part of an intercollegiate team, don't you have to be on an intramural team? If so, I assume the time commitment for intramurals is not so extensive. Nevertheless, completing a STEM degree in 4 years with a decent gpa is quite a feat even if one does nothing else but study.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't forget all the military duties too. Get to do fun stuff like room and uniform inspections and dress up and stomp around with a rifle for the amusement of the tourists. That's why Admissions looks for smart, fit, motivated, mature kids. It's a heavy workload in an academically challenging school with a lot of other demands on your time.

I am assuming the drop out rate must be high. I know a West Point grad who told me that (at least for her year) the drop out rate was pretty high.

I guess this is also why service academy grads have a leg up on designator/location slots.