• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USNA Blue & Gold Officer--good for IRR guys

I've been a Naval Academy Blue & Gold Officer (admissions rep) for about 5 years now, I found it a great way to earn points while in the IRR. I thought it might be worthy of it's own thread in light of recent RESFOR/BUPERS changes that seem to be making it pretty hard to get correspondence courses in the IRR. For what it's worth, I'll paraphrase what my BGO boss was told "while there are changes in place to make it harder for officers to sit in the IRR for years and do nothing but courses, funerals and BGO are in no danger of going away, and your contributions are appreciated."

So, how does it work? I'll do this from memory, so a few things in the process may be wrong, or may have changed since I started.

Contact the area coordinator covering where you live; google it, PM me, whatever...you can manage.

USNA will send you a guide, and an open book test; you'll send it in, pass, and get your Naval Academy Information Affiliate card.

IMPORTANT: In order to get points, you'll have to attend a 1-week session at USNA which will take place in June/July; the app deadline is usually mid-May. You'll go in a civilian status, but get airfare paid and stay at USNA and eat in the galley (when you're not partying in Annapolis--it's a fun town!). After that, you can get points.

USNA provides you with an Excel spreadsheet, which you'll use to keep track of your time. The sheet does not require you keep exact times/dates for things, but I have a little log book where I record every minute of everything I do. I also make sure I error on the side of caution in this regard.

What do you do? I wasn't a USNA grad, but I think it's a great place for the right person. BGO's help the applicant through the process, as well as educate/mentor them on life in the Navy and at USNA. For those that make it a decent amount through the app process, you'll also interview them for USNA.

How many points can you get? I have five local schools, and five that are about an hour away; Last year I got 63 points. I will usually interview/meet applicants and their families before they've even applied, I'll keep up with them as the go through the app process, I'll go to career fairs and college nights, and I'll try to keep a relationship with the high school counselors. I typically devote 30 minutes each Sunday toward logging into the system and checking the bulletins or reviewing stuff. The speadsheet keeps track of incremental hours, and lists points per month, AND carries over your remaining time to the next month.

I send my sheets to my BGO boss every three or four months, with a SASE and he mails them back. I then scan them and send the original. Surprise, surprise, but it can be a pain to get PERS to credit them (not legible was one excuse that made me start sending the originals), but after a bit of fighting I've gotten them all credited.

It's actually rewarding to talk to young people interested in a career of service, and with three kids of my own it's good to see what a good college looks like. Oh, I'm screwed btw, so I've started teaching my kids welding.

It's also nice because although there are "seasons", you make your schedule. BGOs can be a bit territorial about their schools, so it may take you a while to get assigned one. I think that if you stressed to your Area Coordinator your desire to sink your teeth in, he'd get you some schools, or at least send you to some career fairs/assign some busy work or something to get you the 105 hours of work you need to get 35 points.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My mom did BGO for her last few years in the Reserves, when she made O-6 and ran out of pay billets in her neck of the woods. Did a lot of college nights and candidate interviews, and it was a nice way for her to come up to Annapolis and visit while I was a middle.

One thing I wondered about - if you're a regular drilling reservist assigned to a pay billet, can you also be a BGO and get drill points on the side?

My mom did BGO for her last few years in the Reserves, when she made O-6 and ran out of pay billets in her neck of the woods. Did a lot of college nights and candidate interviews, and it was a nice way for her to come up to Annapolis and visit while I was a middle.

One thing I wondered about - if you're a regular drilling reservist assigned to a pay billet, can you also be a BGO and get drill points on the side?
Yup. I'll have to dig up the instruction, but you have to additional duty authority from your parent unit or something.

From the BGO website (below). It takes a while, so I’d recommend starting now and if you change your mind later, no biggie.

Step-by-Step Guidelines for USNR Reserve NAIP Program

Information for those Desiring/Earning Retirement Point Credit for NAIP Duties (rev. Aug 08).

***Reservists are fulfilling their BGO Duties in their CIVILIAN status

until approved to participate in their reserve status.***

1.Review the requirements and benefits comparison chart in the NAIP Participation Options for Ready Reserve Officers

very carefully before deciding which reserve status is best for you!

2. Steps for reservists desiring to earn retirement point credit and have been designated a NAIA (must be a BGO for < 2 years) or NAIO (satisfactory is all BGO training requirements).

a. If in a paid billet or VTU (drilling IRR): Submit a Reserve NAIP USNR/USMCR Officer Participation Authorization Request (USNA-CGO 1800/06) to NAIP Reserve Coordinator via your Area Coordinator. Also send a copy of your current billet orders to the NAIP Reserve Coordinator. Once approved, you will be issued an Authorization Letter stating that you are authorized retirement point credit in addition to your monthly drills once assigned additional duty to USNA. The letter directs you to request the ordmod from your order writing authority per the sample provided in the letter.

b. If in the Active Status Pool (non-drilling IRR out of NPC): Submit a Naval Academy Info Officer Assignment Sheet (USNA-CGO-1800/06) to USNA via your Area Coordinator. Once approved, you will be issued an Authorization Letter stating that you are authorized the retirement point credit. This letter is your authorization to earn the points once you provide NPC a copy.

c. If in S2 status, you are not authorized to earn retirement points. To request transfer from S2 status to IRR (non-drilling (Active Status Pool) in order to earn retirement points: FAX Pers-911, a letter of request to be reinstated from S2 status to Active Status Pool (ASP) IRR at NPC. They will inform you what requirements must be completed before the transfer may be initiated. You may require a new physical, Ready Reserve Service Agreement, DD-214 and Reserve Oath of Office. Your local recruiter can help you get the physical and paperwork completed. (Do not sign a consent for orders--this will put you into a drilling unit) Once Pers-911 receives your paperwork, it will be processed/submitted before a board for approval to transfer you to IRR from S2 status. Once you are transferred out of S2 status into the Active Status Pool (IRR), follow the steps in paragraph 3.b.

Reserve Officer Career Progression (Pers-911)

FAX: (901) 874-2753, DSN 882-2753 Voice: (901) 874-4858/4507/4482 , DSN 882-4858/4507/4482

https://www.npc.navy.mil/CareerInfo/ReservePersonnelManagement/Officers/CareerProgression/

3. Options for reservists currently participating in the Reserve NAIP and earning retirement point credit:

a. To remain in your current paid billet/VTU (and not past your PRD), ensure your orders assign you additional duty to USNA. If they do not, submit a NAVPERS 1301 to billet order writing authority via NAIP Reserve Coordinator to request an ordmod.

b. To request transfer from a paid billet/VTU (drilling IRR) to Active Status Pool (ASP: non-drilling IRR): Submit a NAVPERS 1301 to REDCOM/NAR via USNA (NAIP Reserve Affairs). Once the transfer is effective, stop any SGLI payments since you are not eligible for SGLI in the IRR (ASP) unless on ADT.

c. To request transfer from a paid unit to VTU (drilling IRR). Submit a NAVPERS 1301 to billet order writing authority via NAIP Reserve Coordinator. You will be assigned additional duty to USNA and may earn retirement point credit for NAIP duties in addition to your monthly drills. (This is recommended for reservists desiring future paid billets/promotion)

4. Posting the retirement points for NAIP duties. Submit your Retirement Credits Report (Monthly) USNA-CGO1800/2 via your AC to: (ACs keep a copy for USNA records but give a copy to reservist for THEM to submit to record holder to point their points. Reservist be sure to keep a copy (signed by your AC) for your records until the points are posted).

a. If in a paid billet/VTU: Submit to your drill clerk to post as non-paid retirement points.

b. If in the IRR (ASP) or for all points earned greater than 11 months from current month: mail to

NPC for retirement point posting. (Individual Reps are assigned based on last 2 digits of your SSN).

Navy Personnel Command (PERS 912)
5720 Integrity DrivePhone: (901) 874-4760 DSN: 882-4760
Millington, TN 38055 Fax: (901) 874-7044 DSN: 882-7044

For add'l info: https://www.npc.navy.mil/CareerInfo/RecordsManagement/

lostSeaBee

SeaBee Memorial
Excited to hear that I am accepted as a BGO Affiliate. Should I notify PERS and/or IRR Counselor. I'm hoping that they don't kick me out of the IRR. What do you think my best course of action would be?

jagM3

vxc,

The application is asking for me Echelon IV Command; i've never heard of this before and cannot find it listed anywhere in my NSIPS. How can I find out what this is? Thanks.

vxc,

The application is asking for me Echelon IV Command; i've never heard of this before and cannot find it listed anywhere in my NSIPS. How can I find out what this is? Thanks.
You can call usna and get the right answer, or (lazy-I would do this) put Commander, Navy Region (where you live)Reserve Component Command, (city, state and uic).

Google Navy reserve regions to get the right names.

If it’s wrong and they care, somebody will correct you. O/w you’ll be fine.

Good luck guys!

lostSeaBee

SeaBee Memorial
I let the IRR Counselor know that I was part of the BGO program, hoping for an exemption. This was the response: "Capt. Swift will be providing a list of Officers in the NAIP program for exemption from the new IRR policy change." I'm guessing that he will make the cutoff list based on September 30, 2017, but who knows. Is there anything that I can do to ensure that I get on Capt. Swift's list?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've been a BGO for 15 years. Not a bad gig. As a retiree I get nothing but the satisfaction of helping out wannabes. I never stay in Bancroft when on the Yard for training or conference. Pony up a few bucks and stay in the BOQ or the Club.

lostSeaBee

SeaBee Memorial
I've been a BGO for 15 years. Not a bad gig. As a retiree I get nothing but the satisfaction of helping out wannabes. I never stay in Bancroft when on the Yard for training or conference. Pony up a few bucks and stay in the BOQ or the Club.

I'm looking forward to it. I enjoy talking to young people about the Navy. Thanks for the information on the stay. I think I may take my family and make it a event.

The Academy Q is pretty gouge. All-DV suites, in the DTA, for $60-ish a night.
I have an oddly optimistic feeling that with these changes new BGOs will be fine, but I believe (I'll verify when I have time) that you're not supposed to get reserve credit for being a BGO until you've gone through the course at USNA; now, the last few years they've canceled/curtailed the course, which would make me think they'd waive the requirement, but my region just lost a guy who didn't re-certify after five years (they did send a roadshow out, which they said would count--I guess he couldn't make it).