• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN to USMC transition in advanced helos

teamtornado1

Just selected helos, and I was wondering if anyone had any information about transferring from the Navy to the Marines? I know that it is possible, and after you get your wings you would go to TBS then the FRS. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Here is a simplified version of my story:
LSU NROTC - Navy option 2001-2003
LSU NROTC - Picked up Marine option 2003
- Summer 2005 did not go to bulldog because of stress fracture in left leg.
- Graduate LSU Dec 2005, OCC class 92 Jan 2006
- 4 weeks in, stress fracture comes back and I go home
- After months of trouble with injury, Navy doc says I am not going back to Marine OCS, I argue that I deserve a Navy commission for completing NROTC
-Dec 2007, finally get Navy Commission
-Jan 2008, report for IFS, API
-May 2008, report for Primary NAS Corpus
-Jan 2009, Select helos
-LEG all better now, WANT TO GO BACK TO MARINE CORPS

Any serious help would be much appreciated, Thanks

"Want in one hand and S!!t in the other, see which one fills up faster"
-My Dad

JZAB

Livin the MEU life
pilot
Don't think you have much of a chance; you would have to talk with the CO @ the TW or MATSG-21 once you come back to Pensacola. But still you are in the Navy and well you have been since DEC 2007, so maybe you can do a service transfer once you finish your Navy commitment. I am not trying to be negative about it, be glad you are flying anything who cares the service.

phrogpilot73

Don't listen to a word that young man says - it's bad gouge. The Navy is overmanned on JOs, the Marine Corps is trying to grow by 20,000. How do you think the math works out?

Talk to MATSG-21 (starting with the Senior Marine in your squadron). Lay out the timeline exactly as you did here and show that you original intent was to be a Marine. It's been done before.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
I know of several people trying to make the switch who are farther along than you and it's very possible to do right now. Like Phrog said, the Navy is trying to cut people and the Marines are growing.

teamtornado1

Don't think you have much of a chance; you would have to talk with the CO @ the TW or MATSG-21 once you come back to Pensacola. But still you are in the Navy and well you have been since DEC 2007, so maybe you can do a service transfer once you finish your Navy commitment. I am not trying to be negative about it, be glad you are flying anything who cares the service.

Horrible gouge man, you are completely wrong! If you dont know what you are talking about, than do not try to help. That is why I put "any SERIOUS help" would be appreciated

Cavt

Living the dream
pilot
had a guy in my tbs company who did it and a buddy in my advanced squadron do it. As well as a couple others I heard of through the grapevine.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
There's a guy in HT-18 right now who is in the process of making it happen. The major problem seems to be that he'll be winged for quite some time while he waits for boards to convene. We could see the first helo SERGRAD in a while...

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
One of my students in HT-28 did the switch. It can be done, you just need to do the leg work.

JZAB

Livin the MEU life
pilot
Hey Sorry for the negative outlook :) I just didn't think it would be possible so soon.
Sorry my bad. Give it a shot and good luck.

yodaears

pilot
I had a navy friend try to do this out of VT-6 about three months ago. From what he says after you talk to the marines unofficially, i.e talking to your senior marine to get the specifics, you need to get the navy to give you the okay for a release before the marines will consider it (i can put you in touch with him if you'd like). Definitely doable though, we had a winged aviator in my TBS class.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I talked with some of the senior Marines in my squadron about this over beers, and they said it is more than doable. I was told that with the Navy's current manning situation and the current TW-5 Commodore that you couldn't pick a better time to try to make the switch. They said it was basically a matter of putting in the paper work and sacking up for TBS.