• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USA Politics Thunderdome

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
As the Presidential thread was closed out but arguments continue, thought this might be the place to put comments for the next couple of years.

Trump Fires Acting Attorney General

President Trump fired his acting attorney general on Monday after she defiantly refused to defend his immigration executive order, accusing the Democratic holdover of trying to obstruct his agenda for political reasons.

That did not take long...
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/30/us/politics/trump-immigration-ban-memo.html?_r=0

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Nope. There's a new interim appointee: Dana J. Boente, United States attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia.

What I find odd is that POTUS didn't wait until Sessions was confirmed to issue his immigration EO .
That's what you find odd?

OK and since this is not in the War Zone, can we set some basic rules of civility and mutual respect here? I could see us actually having substantive discussions if so.
Or we can just throw memes made by 14 year-olds at each other. Whatever.

Last edited:

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nope. There's a new interim appointee: Dana J. Boente, United States attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia...
Interesting factoid I didn't know until I read about the firing and the replacement, apparently you need a Senate-approved appointee to sign off on FISA warrants and the DOJ doesn't have one right now.

I don't have an objection to making sure that folks from certain countries pass enhanced screening to immigrate or visit here but I think the latest EO was executed poorly. I just wonder if the Democrats are making a stand, or riding a wave might be a better term, on something too early and too volatile to make as big an impact with the American public as they seem to hope to do.

The oath of office is to the Constitution, not the DOJ or the President.

View attachment 16703
Not sure I understand your point Squorch.

90 day delay for Yemeni nationals seeking visas = unconstitutional

Depriving Yemeni nationals of life, liberty and pursuit of happiness using SEAL Team 6 = no problem at all?

http://www.military.com/daily-news/...embers-fought-female-fighters-yemen-raid.html

I'm a little lost on your logic. If you want to ascribe to foreigners [non-existent] standing under the Consitution, why stop at issuing visas?

B/c if its unlawful/unconstitutional to delay their travel, its definitely unconstitutional to be killing them.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
90 day delay for Yemeni nationals seeking visas = unconstitutional
The stated reason for the Acting Attorney General's reason to order not enforcing the EO was she thought it was an attempt at barring folks from entering the country based on their religion, "[The Office of Legal Counsel] review does not take account of statements made by an administration or its surrogates close in time to the issuance of an Executive Order that may bear on the order’s purpose, which is likely unconstitutional.

Also at the start of the visa ban several permanent US residents were denied entry and may have even had their green cards revoked, as legal US persons they are entitled to due process.

Depriving Yemeni nationals of life, liberty and pursuit of happiness using SEAL Team 6 = no problem at all?
It doesn't have to be an either/or proposition, many folks from the President's own party have come out in objection to the EO either in it's implementation or its action. Not supporting the President's actions ≠ support for terrorists.

Last edited: