• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Up-Screened for Naval Reactor Interview?

schwaack

All,

I’m a rising MIDN 1/C and I have done everything I can to be assigned aviator. I have a 7/8/8 ASTB, 3.8 GPA, 285 PRT, and have ranked in the top 5 for the past few semesters. I got an email today saying I up-screened for a naval reactor interview. Does this have any bearing on being assigned aviator, or am I in trouble here?

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
1000w

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
@HAL Pilot - sometimes even totally fucking up the interview won't do it.

DNR wants to interview anyone they feel has the chops for Nuke, especially in lean years for volunteers. The CO of my last ship got 'drafted' in such a way out of the Academy. She said she had zero interest in being a Nuke, planned on being a 'vanilla' SWO, but got wheedled into going to the interview anyway.

Her first 'WTF?' was when she shows up for the bus trip to DNR; she just brought something to read on the trip, and all the other Middies are furiously studying gouge books and flash cards.

Punchline was that she had no idea that the interview was mostly a technical exam and she totally tanked it. But the final round, talking to DNR Himself (I think it was Admiral DeMars), he pretty much talked her into giving Power School a shot.

Anyway, @schwaack, I think you're probably in the same boat, pardon the pun. Sounds like you have your academic shit in one sock and they're basically recruiting you for Nuke.

schwaack

@HAL Pilot - sometimes even totally fucking up the interview won't do it.

DNR wants to interview anyone they feel has the chops for Nuke, especially in lean years for volunteers. The CO of my last ship got 'drafted' in such a way out of the Academy. She said she had zero interest in being a Nuke, planned on being a 'vanilla' SWO, but got wheedled into going to the interview anyway.

Her first 'WTF?' was when she shows up for the bus trip to DNR; she just brought something to read on the trip, and all the other Middies are furiously studying gouge books and flash cards.

Punchline was that she had no idea that the interview was mostly a technical exam and she totally tanked it. But the final round, talking to DNR Himself (I think it was Admiral DeMars), he pretty much talked her into giving Power School a shot.

Anyway, @schwaack, I think you're probably in the same boat, pardon the pun. Sounds like you have your academic shit in one sock and they're basically recruiting you for Nuke.
I’m a psychology major, doesn’t that say anything?

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Well, if the needs of the Navy force you to NUPOC, then, at least do the needful, and go submarines.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is the Nuke program an opt in/voluntary program, or is that just for subs?

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Nuke is voluntary. The only non-voluntary program is SWO. If you don't like your service assignment, you can go SWO. If you don't want to go SWO, you can pay back the $ and kiss the USN goodbye. (Not sure how USNA works, but that's how NROTC works)

I was the service assignment officer at an NROTC unit for a few years. Had a 1/c who really really didn't want subs and wanted to fly. Had good grades, interviewed, & got drafted for subs. He decided to first decline and go SWO, and then decided to DOR and pay back the $$ (to a private school, so more like $$$,$$$). MIDN had a desire to later re-attack via OCS. We made sure (via CO's comments) that his disenrollment paperwork explained that he was not well suited for the uncertainties of Naval service, in case anyone ever asked.

Moral of the story - remember that whole thing about being an Officer first, and then an Officer of a certain flavor second? Yeah that.

Also I'll follow up with the fact that if you tell the interviewers that you don't want to go Nuke to the point of saying you'll DOR if selected - the ADM should call your bluff and select you, knowing they'll be saving the Navy a bad apple.

schwaack

Nuke is voluntary. The only non-voluntary program is SWO. If you don't like your service assignment, you can go SWO. If you don't want to go SWO, you can pay back the $ and kiss the USN goodbye. (Not sure how USNA works, but that's how NROTC works)

I was the service assignment officer at an NROTC unit for a few years. Had a 1/c who really really didn't want subs and wanted to fly. Had good grades, interviewed, & got drafted for subs. He decided to first decline and go SWO, and then decided to DOR and pay back the $$ (to a private school, so more like $$$,$$$). MIDN had a desire to later re-attack via OCS. We made sure (via CO's comments) that his disenrollment paperwork explained that he was not well suited for the uncertainties of Naval service, in case anyone ever asked.

Moral of the story - remember that whole thing about being an Officer first, and then an Officer of a certain flavor second? Yeah that.

Also I'll follow up with the fact that if you tell the interviewers that you don't want to go Nuke to the point of saying you'll DOR if selected - the ADM should call your bluff and select you, knowing they'll be saving the Navy a bad apple.
I don’t understand the part about the 1/C MIDN. My LTs are saying that this only means that if I don’t pick up pilot I have to interview. Did that 1/C MIDN in question not pick up pilot, and if so, was there a reason besides the nuke stuff?