• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS UAV 'Combat' Flight Time?!

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Among the USAF proposals to 'improve' their UAV force is to authorize 'UAV operators/pilots to log combat time when flying an aircraft within designated hostile airspace, regardless of their physical location'. So if I am reading that right UAV folks would be able to get green ink. Air Medals? Awarding Air Medals to UAV folks was proposed by the USAF a few years ago but it was shot down by the other services, not sure that will change if they try again (I think they would have to get the other services to buy off on it to change the wording of the medal criteria).

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Criteria for awarding of air medals is up to the ISIC. DoD has guidelines, but that's all. i doubt ACC will include RPA time as eligible.

I'm not sure I see the point of logging green time for drone guys, other than maybe having a way of tracking your operational flight time (as opposed to training, etc)

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
...other than maybe having a way of tracking your operational flight time (as opposed to training, etc)

That was my thought, simply as a discriminator of operational versus conus/training.

However, I can only imagine the ascot wearing AF UAV dude at the bar bragging about all of his green ink.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
635876869970470439-dwm.jpg

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Article said:
...which includes temporarily retaining a portion of pilots who are on loan from other airframes; increasing the use of Air National Guard and Air Force Reserve personnel; and seeking recently qualified MQ-1/9 pilot and operator volunteers to deploy for 179 days to 'stressed' UAV units.

JFC. You think our morale is low? This sounds awful. No amount of bonus money will make this worth it. Giving them green ink for their robot logbook is just window dressing on the Titanic.

Renegade One

None
Anyone think they might get the new "Operation INHERENT RESOLVE Campaign Medal"? Would seem legit, although as the rule is currently written, to qualify, individuals must spend at least 30 consecutive days in Iraq or Syria or a total of 60 nonconsecutive days. Certainly a gray area, especially for the folks piloting armed UAVs…especially if they have fired weapons. I know they're not at personal risk, but they sure are generating meaningful direct effects.
635949478528543244-INHERENT-RESOLVE-MEDAL-OBVERSE-REVERSE.jpg

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Anyone think they might get the new "Operation INHERENT RESOLVE Campaign Medal"? Would seem legit, although as the rule is currently written, to qualify, individuals must spend at least 30 consecutive days in Iraq or Syria or a total of 60 nonconsecutive days. Certainly a gray area, especially for the folks piloting armed UAVs…especially if they have fired weapons. I know they're not at personal risk, but they sure are generating meaningful direct effects.
635949478528543244-INHERENT-RESOLVE-MEDAL-OBVERSE-REVERSE.jpg
I left OIR before there was a medal, so I don't know this for sure, but I would guess that it follows the same lines of the OEF and OIF medals, where the 30/60 requirement is trumped if you participate in a direct combat engagement, i.e. dropping ordnance.

reference to aid my poor memory….
https://awards.navy.mil/awards/webd...113005FE232/$File/NAVADMIN 085 05 ACM ICM.pdf

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Criteria for awarding of air medals is up to the ISIC. DoD has guidelines, but that's all. i doubt ACC will include RPA time as eligible.

I don't think they can bypass the 'participating in aerial flight' verbiage though, that is why the USAF had to run it past the other services before and why they would have to do so again if they tried. Either that or it will end up like the Bronze Star again, where the USAF awarded a few folks in Missouri meritorious BS's for participating in Allied Force, Congress then passed a law that you had to be in a designated combat zone to get one.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

I left OIR before there was a medal, so I don't know this for sure, but I would guess that it follows the same lines of the OEF and OIF medals, where the 30/60 requirement is trumped if you participate in a direct combat engagement, i.e. dropping ordnance.

No. You still have to physically be in the area to get a campaign medal and I imagine there would be an outcry if that was changed for the UAV folks.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
No. You still have to physically be in the area to get a campaign medal and I imagine there would be an outcry if that was changed for the UAV folks.

You have no argument from me there, and I also read that as a requirement in the original OEF/OIF message I linked. My point I guess was less about the UAV argument, but rather for anyone around here who might rate the OIR medal based on flying a manned aircraft. As many are aware, for a typical CVN deployment, meeting the 30 or 60 day wickets is a bit challenging. 30 is probably no chance, whereas 60 is really only possible on a long enough deployment with a long enough time in the AOR.