• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Types of degrees make you more competitive?

Drod2214

Popeye
Is there any “competitive edge” with having a certain college degrees when trying to become a SWO? I am in my senior year of a state maritime academy and have already passed my unlimited 3rd mates license exam. I was wondering if the navy would see this as competitive? Or does having a degree all they see?

abctotheabc

The Navy will always prefer STEM degrees over most things, however, SWO is one of those designators that takes a lot of people with non-STEM. I'm sure they will appreciate the other stuff on your package, but most of the recruiters on here will tell you it's mostly OAR/ASTB score and GPA.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Is there any “competitive edge” with having a certain college degrees when trying to become a SWO? I am in my senior year of a state maritime academy and have already passed my unlimited 3rd mates license exam. I was wondering if the navy would see this as competitive? Or does having a degree all they see?

If only there’s a thread where you can find this answer or a recruiter who can tell you...

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
You want to go SWO or Reserve Strategic Sealift Officer (SSO). You can get much current SWO gouge over at https://wwww.sailorbob.com

Last edited:

Duc'-guy25

pilot
Dude, go sail on your license. If you haven't talked to any deckies that went SWO out of school I highly recommend you do that before diving into that hole.

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

A philosophy degree with an emphasis in nihilism may help you in the SWO world...

Nihilism is right. There are many SWOs who happen to be the only people I've met in my life who hated all expense-paid trips and tourism all over Europe and the Far East while doing their 4 years. At the same time, they'll never stop telling you about all the places they've gone to and how awesome it was. I don't mean spoiled rich folk who are miserable because they're too cool for cruising around on a boat or not getting their 9 hours a night, either. I mean people from villages in the Midwest and South with a wanderlust who never would have ventured outside the US (and likely their state) were it not for NROTC and the Navy.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Not directly SWO related, but one of the best Naval Aviators and leaders (Hornet dude) I ever knew was a Phys Ed major from University of North Dakota. Just sayin.