• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TS Clearance Question

rr-10

Hi, I’m a U.S. citizen by birth.

OCS will be the way that I would apply for a US Navy commission in the hopes of being a Naval Aviator. I’m currently attending York University in Canada for Mechanical Engineering. After my degree, I would’ve lived in Canada for 20 years & only 4 years in the US.

I don’t have any problems renouncing my Canadian citizenship as I’m moving to USA after my degree to work & retire. Would living in a foreign country (even if it’s a low-risk country) affect my chances of being granted a clearance?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You must renounce any foreign citizenship just to get commissioned. Your circumstances will complicate your clearance adjudication, but shouldn’t be a big deal.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor

OCS will be the way that I would apply for a US Navy commission in the hopes of being a Naval Aviator. I’m currently attending York University in Canada for Mechanical Engineering. After my degree, I would’ve lived in Canada for 20 years & only 4 years in the US.

I don’t have any problems renouncing my Canadian citizenship as I’m moving to USA after my degree to work & retire. Would living in a foreign country (even if it’s a low-risk country) affect my chances of being granted a clearance?

Do you have or have you ever held a Canadian passport?

I had dual citizenship by virtue of being born in a foreign country and living therefor a number of years.I have since renounced said foreign citizenship.

I had to answer some additional questions but it wasn’t a factor in my original clearance and hasn’t been during any of my reinvestigations.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
I had the distinct joy of disassembling and shredding a MIDN's Canadian passport as command security manager. I told her it'd be funny to sing O Canada backwards to seal the deal but she wasn't really enthusiastic about it and it wasn't in the regs. Oh well.

As the others stated, you just have to renounce the citizenship. Procedures on how to do that will be given by NSTC's Security Manager (IIRC, NSTC owns NROTC and OCS). That's not your problem - your recruiter should be tracking that down as they set up your NACLC investigation (that's the one you need to commission to anything but special ops/warfare and subs).

exNavyOffRec

What makes you think you have canadian citizenship? Born in the US with mom and dad being canadian, or born in US with one of the parents canadian, or born in canada with US parents?

I only ask because of dumb things I have seen with applicants.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

What makes you think you will get a TS clearance right away? You will start off with a Secret and depending on your pipeline/career MIGHT be upgraded to a Secret.

Talk to an OR whenever you get back to the US to find out the right steps. Long story short, it's not a big deal nor is it something difficult to do.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I had the distinct joy of disassembling and shredding a MIDN's Canadian passport as command security manager.
??? Why a mid? One would think that'd be Annapolis's or her NROTC unit's problem.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The "about" tab on Beans' profile page may prove illuminating to you.
D’oh . . .

facepalm.jpg

rr-10

What makes you think you will get a TS clearance right away? You will start off with a Secret and depending on your pipeline/career MIGHT be upgraded to a Secret.

Talk to an OR whenever you get back to the US to find out the right steps. Long story short, it's not a big deal nor is it something difficult to do.

I've been told many times that to be a Naval Aviator, one needs a TS Clearance. I heard that you can't fly with a secret clearance.

rr-10

What makes you think you have canadian citizenship? Born in the US with mom and dad being canadian, or born in US with one of the parents canadian, or born in canada with US parents?

I only ask because of dumb things I have seen with applicants.

My parents are Canadian. My father filed paperwork for naturalization when I was younger than 18 to help significantly with benefits and OSAP (Ontario Student Assistance Program)...basically student loans. Therefore, I have 2 passports but I am willing to renounce my Canadian and have advised to not do it right away when entering USA again. But rather, have a security officer deal with it.

rr-10

I had the distinct joy of disassembling and shredding a MIDN's Canadian passport as command security manager. I told her it'd be funny to sing O Canada backwards to seal the deal but she wasn't really enthusiastic about it and it wasn't in the regs. Oh well.

As the others stated, you just have to renounce the citizenship. Procedures on how to do that will be given by NSTC's Security Manager (IIRC, NSTC owns NROTC and OCS). That's not your problem - your recruiter should be tracking that down as they set up your NACLC investigation (that's the one you need to commission to anything but special ops/warfare and subs).

Yeah, I was told not to jump the gun and renounce the Canadian citizenship by myself when in USA again. But I think it's good that I rejected the Canadian Space Agency offer for an internship because it's basically a job with the Canadian federal government. Even though I want to work at NASA in the long run, it'll show foreign interests for Canada if I were to work for CSA.

exNavyOffRec

My parents are Canadian. My father filed paperwork for naturalization when I was younger than 18 to help significantly with benefits and OSAP (Ontario Student Assistance Program)...basically student loans. Therefore, I have 2 passports but I am willing to renounce my Canadian and have advised to not do it right away when entering USA again. But rather, have a security officer deal with it.

If you haven't talked to a US immigration attorney you might make that call, I say that because depending on the rules for Canada you may or may not have inadvertently lost US citizenship, years ago I had a situation similar to what you have described but with a central american country, turns out even though she was born in the US the process the parents had her go through in their native country she lost her US citizenship, and she still had a US passport, but was told when she went to renew would probably be denied.

I also had a similar situation happen with a sailor that worked for me, he had a interim clearance but during the investigation to get secret it was found he wasn't actually a US citizen anymore.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I've been told many times that to be a Naval Aviator, one needs a TS Clearance. I heard that you can't fly with a secret clearance.

That is incorrect. Some platforms require it, others do not. I never got a TS. Sometimes there's strategic reasons not to get one.