• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Travel to OHARP

Huneph

PPC/MC
I'm just curious if your travel from OCS to your home is covered if you're given OHARP? I'm an SNA and just wondered if I need to have the cash to travel home or if it's partly covered by Travel expenses since I'll most likely be getting OHARP. Also what's the maximum amount of OHARP you can get?

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
There is an OHARP instruction. You should read it.

When I did OHARP in 2008 OHARP was no-cost TAD. That means no cost to the government. Odds are that it's the same, but you really should google the instruction and get it.

Google tips:
1. use "site:navy.mil" to limit your results to only Navy sites. There are lots of spoof sites that say they have Navy regs but they don't.
2. Don't use Bing. Bing preferentially gives you spoof site results.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I'm just curious if your travel from OCS to your home is covered if you're given OHARP? I'm an SNA and just wondered if I need to have the cash to travel home or if it's partly covered by Travel expenses since I'll most likely be getting OHARP. Also what's the maximum amount of OHARP you can get?

Look at @Beans ' response and report back to everyone what the answer is. More than likely someone else with the same question.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
OHARP is technically no cost, but you get partial BAH (~$700 a month) and it looks like the Navy is now coding pilot's orders down to Pensacola as a PCS move so your travel post OCS (i.e. Newport to OHARP location and then down to Pensacola) is covered, at least from my rudimentary understanding of the black magic accounting done at PSD.

kvnbaumann

Since OHARP is brought up, is there any way you can have OHARP moved somewhere else instead of your "home recruiting district" (Say LA to Boston)? I would figure it'd make more sense to stay on the east coast before having to go to Charleston for power school and most of my family is in the Boston area anyways.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
You can go on no cost TAD/permissive TAD pretty much anywhere if your command approves it.

If you do a bit of legwork (basically call up the recruiting district and ask them if they would mind having you as a stash ensign... they'll more than likely accept the offer) then it makes it a lot easier for your command to approve it.

No cost means no cost to the Navy or the government. You can stay in "lodging with family or friends" or you can pay for the Waldorf Astoria out of your own pocket, it doesn't make a difference in the travel regulations for no cost TAD.

I've seen people go on permissive TAD to triathlons and those mud races, and other stuff with a tenuous connection to the military. Making something legal is a lot easier when it's free to the government.