• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Transfer to Coast Guard before/during/after Primary

shutout39

pilot
Tried searching for this but couldn't find anything, so here goes:

Does anyone know if there a possibility to transfer from the Navy to CG prior to or even after completing Primary? I am just about to graduate API and have orders to Whiting. I've heard of transfers to the Marines in the past (as in 4+years ago), but nothing at all about transfers to the CG.

Don't get me wrong, I am extremely thankful to be where I am in the Navy. If you look at my posting history you'll see I've spent a long time just trying to get here. I am just exploring this potential option that my provide a better life for my family and I. Thank you.

sardaddy

pilot
You couldn't find anything because there is nothing to find. The CG doesn't do lateral transfers so that is out.

The Direct Commissioned Aviator would be your only bet but it requires a lot of things. These items are probably most pertinent to you:

Must be a graduate of a U.S. military flight training program. You don't meet this because you haven't finished flight school.

Have full-time military or civilian flight experience within two years of the published application deadline. I guess technically you meet this.

Have served a minimum of two years as either a Warrant Officer in the Army or a Commissioned Officer in any of the Armed Forces . Depending on how long you have been in you may or may not meet this.

Rotary-wing applicants must present evidence of being a military rotary-wing designated aviator with a minimum of 500 rotary wing flight hours (not including flight training hours). Fixed-wing applicants must possess evidence of being a military fixed-wing designated aviator with a minimum of 500 hours in a fixed-wing aircraft. Waivers are not authorized for minimum flight hours requirement. Did you fly a lot before flight school? If not, you surely don't meet this.

shutout39

pilot
Thanks for the response. No flight time prior to joining so it looks like I'll do my 8 with the Navy and try again down the road.

parrothead08

KCCO
pilot
Thanks for the response. No flight time prior to joining so it looks like I'll do my 8 with the Navy and try again down the road.

Not possible. You won't get a look until your service commitment is up. I saw a Navy ENS ask the CGLO (O-6) if he could transfer to the CG when he finished primary. The Captain laughed.

sardaddy

pilot
"Not possible. You won't get a look until your service commitment is up."

Not entirely true. As long as a member meets the minimum requirements for the DCA program they can apply to it. The caveat is that they have to have a conditional release from the service they are trying to leave to be considered. At one point in time it was never done. However, recent changes in the services have allowed some conditional releases to be approved. We have one member in our unit that was able to get out the Army years before his commitment was complete to come over to the Coast Guard.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The way the CGLO put it a few years ago, the purpose of the DCA program is for the CG to acquire experienced aviators without spending Coast Guard money to wing them. So if you're neither winged nor experienced, why would they take you?

It's happened in the past. The Coasties picked up a bunch of Navy studs who were about to be RIF'ed out of Advanced in the '90's. I know several E-2 bubbas who were acquired out of the RAG when the CGAW stood up in the '80's. But those were unusual circumstances, and even then it was in the spirit of the Coasties grabbing a bargain when they saw one.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Goddamn Coasties, bunch of freeloading ne'er do wells. They're the Duprees of the US military!

*and in about 4 years, I hope to join your ranks!

parrothead08

KCCO
pilot

Not entirely true. As long as a member meets the minimum requirements for the DCA program they can apply to it. The caveat is that they have to have a conditional release from the service they are trying to leave to be considered. At one point in time it was never done. However, recent changes in the services have allowed some conditional releases to be approved. We have one member in our unit that was able to get out the Army years before his commitment was complete to come over to the Coast Guard.

Good to know.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Does anyone know if it is possible to transfer from the Coast Guard to the Navy while in flight school?
For the love of God, why?
The CG is arguably the best and easiest way to fly a ton, make a meaningful impact on society, and have some balance in your life wrt family, etc. There isn't a single dude I know in the coast guard who would trade places with me. Not one.

Brunes

pilot
Does anyone know if it is possible to transfer from the Coast Guard to the Navy while in flight school?
Possible - Sure. Anything is possible. But how much time/distraction/effort and general BS do you want to put up with ti get there??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

60dude

SarDaddy, you have just lit the light at the end of the tunnel. Do you happen to know where he sent that conditional release to? Or maybe you can just point me in the right direction