• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Top 10 Worst Aircraft Ever...

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
this is my contribution...the V-173

v173-01.jpg

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
^Sooner, you're nutz! The pancake paved the way for STOVL.
showimage.php

I would vote for the top and the bottom, (not to ressurect the gay thread)...the F6U (Ass) Pirate, and the F7U (Gutless) Cutlass....
The Panther and the Banshee are AOK though!!

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
^explain yourself PewPew!!

Attachments

• wrightpatt 026_800x600.jpg
    wrightpatt 026_800x600.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 202
  • wrightpatt 030_800x600.jpg
    wrightpatt 030_800x600.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 178
  • wrightpatt 038_800x600.jpg
    wrightpatt 038_800x600.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 136

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Here's my vote: the CCW-5 with its 'revolutionary' Custer Channel wings.

ccw5_01.jpg

Then again, this guy does have the dubious honour of killing more of its own pilots than enemy ones:

me163.jpg

FWIW: Smithsonian put out a book a few years back called "The Wrong Stuff" that was all about the most miserable aircraft ever. Good, quick read with nice pictures.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
2500 hundred Starfighters built that served with 15 countries for almost 50 years and it deserves to be in the top 10??? -1(j/k)

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
How about the B-36? The largest combat aircraft of all time, obsolete from the get-go, took 12 years to develop and was phased out two years after entering service, enormous cost overruns resulting in SecDef cancelling the contract on an aircraft carrier to fund it...

Oh, and it never flew a single combat mission.

Set the standard for incredibly expensive, theoretically awesome, but utterly useless planes from the XB-70 to the A-12 the the F(not A)-22.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
I'd have to disagree, the Comanche would have been an awesome aircraft had it the project not been cancelled.

But it doesn't achieve a mission that can't be achieved using a cheaper aircraft. It was way over budget. Anyways the Army needs to throw its money into infantry weapons not outrageously expensive aircraft. That's the job of the Air Force.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I'd have to disagree, the Comanche would have been an awesome aircraft had it the project not been cancelled.

True dat. The WO I talked to who was on the test team said it was amazing. Especially in the hovering/vertical flight realms b/c the controls shifted and worked "vertically" making it more natural. Apparently that whole "stealth" thing never quite worked for them, though.

I hope the CCW-5 met the same fate as George Armstrong Custer!

Yes, but only after Custer had extorted a fair amount of R&D cash from Uncle Sam. As an odd continuation of the saga, NASA has of late been dumping wads of $$$ into windtunnel research on channel wings b/c they MAY actually be good for 1)STOVL and 2) space planes. Custer's kids claim they own the copyright and are demanding cash for it.