• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Thinking about applying for Navy pilot slot

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyguy4723

So I'm a junior at a collegiate aviation college with a 3.5 GPA in aviation studies. Have my CFI and ME rating with about 250 hours. I've been thinking about joining the military as a pilot for a while now, I've looked into ANG, Air Force and the Navy. I'm leaning towards the Navy because 1. They seam to have the best base locations. 2. They don't assign any RPA's. 3. I really like the history and culture of the Navy. 4. They have a shorter time commitment than the Air Force. 5. They fly more impressive aircraft than the AF. A couple questions I have are, do Navy pilots get stuck at a desk after their first couple years of flying? Based on the information above, what are my chances of getting selected for OCS? And could somebody give me a rundown a Navy pilot's training/career timeline? Any added info or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
The answers to most of your questions can be found through some quick searching on this site or through Google. I would suggest taking a bit of time to do your own research and then post here to get any clarification on what you found.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
It would "seam" that if your break your questions up into smaller bits you'll find more success. Let me suggest another question to add to your search: "prior flight time flight school."

You've got a pretty good GPA. Have you taken the ASTB? Have you spoken with an officer recruiter? You're thinking about most of the right things, but some more refined searches here will help you a lot. So will talking to an actual officer recruiter. Best of luck!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I have done a lot of searching on this website and was unable to find answers to my specific questions.

That's a BS response.

To answer the OP search around and talk to an officer recruiter. There are orher factors that go into Pilot selection other than GPA and flight time.

As a potential naval officer I would expect you to take the initiative to find your own answers. Also, spell/grammar check does wonders.

flyguy4723

That's a BS response.

To answer the OP search around and talk to an officer recruiter. There are orher factors that go into Pilot selection other than GPA and flight time.

As a potential naval officer I would expect you to take the initiative to find your own answers. Also, spell/grammar check does wonders.

I have done quite a bit of searching, it's not easy to sort through all the filler info on these forums. Also, a lot of the info is outdated, some of it being 10+ years old.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I have done quite a bit of searching, it's not easy to sort through all the filler info on these forums. Also, a lot of the info is outdated, some of it being 10+ years old.

https://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/what-nrc-considers-competitive.41212/

Literally the first thread on "questions to becoming a naval officer" section. I still don't buy your excuse.

My original post stands, search around, dig through the forums and more importantly talk to an OR. Once you do that and have more specific questions and concerns, ASK.

People will answer your question/s if you do the homework prior.

Last edited:

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
It would "seam" that if your break your questions up into smaller bits you'll find more success. Let me suggest another question to add to your search: "prior flight time flight school."

That's a BS response.

I'm sorry guys, but if you're going to bust someone's balls for spelling and grammar (even a new guy that didn't do his homework) you need to make sure your shit is squared away. :D

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's fine to redirect someone to the search function (or to simply read through some threads). There's no need to be adversarial, RUFiO.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This isn't going anywhere productive. Done.

New guy: welcome, do some more searches, read the sticky threads in particular. Some information may be time-late, but still accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.