• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"There I was" stories from a Vietnam era A-4 Driver

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Callsign: Busy Bee 604
USN - 1952-1974
A-4 Flt Time: 4245 hrs
A-4 Traps: 585 (day) - 202 (night)
Sqdns: VA-94; VA-55; VA-125 (FRS-IP); VA-146; VA-44 (FRS-IP)
Combat Missions: 247 in VA-146 '66, '67

That's it in a nutshell, I'm having a bit of trouble navigating this site right now but with the help of BROWNSHOE & Y'all I will prevail. Gotta few "TINS", war/sea stories, photos to share if interested; if not "no harm, no foul". Any questions on my background/authenticity, check my profile on NTWS website (link is on my public profile here).

Permission to come aboard Sirs! BzB:sleep_125

Last edited:

brownshoe

Contributor
USN - 1952-1974
Sqdns: VA-94; VA-55; VA-125 (IP); VA-146; VA-44 (IP)

That's it in a nutshell, I'm having a bit of trouble navigating this site right now but with the help of BROWNSHOE & Y'all I will prevail. Gotta few "TINS", war/sea stories, photos to share if interested; if not "no harm, no foul". Any questions on my background/authenticy, check my profile on NTWS website (link is on my public profile here).

Welcome aboard, Hugh!

Steve

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
You Mean This Guy??

USN - 1952-1974
Sqdns: VA-94; VA-55; VA-125 (IP); VA-146; VA-44 (IP)

That's it in a nutshell, I'm having a bit of trouble navigating this site right now but with the help of BROWNSHOE & Y'all I will prevail. Gotta few "TINS", war/sea stories, photos to share if interested; if not "no harm, no foul". Any questions on my background/authenticy, check my profile on NTWS website (link is on my public profile here).

I think his guy vouching for you is authentic!

Attachments

• frederick 001_800x600.jpg
    frederick 001_800x600.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 429

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Busy Bee 604? Did you guys keep ATO-style callsigns for life, or was that a "rocket number"-type callsign from a particular tour?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Welcome aboard ... :)

Were you in VA-55 when Bob Kirksey was at the helm ... ??? He was the CO of one of my ships later on ...

AND ... as you're about the right vintage: do you know a guy from A-4's Lemoore w/ a last name of "Stanley" ... ??? I've been trying to track him down for years; supposedly a squadron CO at one time (around your timeframe, I would guess), but none of what should be his contemporaries (A-4 or A-7) I've run into can offer any illumination and I'm no joy as of yet ... thanks in advance.

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Busy Bee was my sqdn callsign (VA-146), 604 was the modex (nose number) of A4C buno 149567 which was shot down 06/25/66 with me aboard. Luckily was rescued.

Yeah, I knew Bob Kirksey real well, great pilot & Officer. He was CO VA-55 in '67 (our Sister Squadron). Last saw him at a VA-55 reunion in Pensacola about 10 yrs. ago.

Thanks all for the welcome.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
*edit* ... never mind, I posted this just a minute or so behind you --- again, WELCOME ABOARD !!! :D

If you liked Bob Kirksey ... you might get a kick outta' this .... check the left side of the patch -- "Kirksey's Rangers":

brownshoe

Contributor
Busy Bee was my sqdn callsign (VA-146), 604 was the modex (nose number) of A4C buno 149567 which was shot down 06/25/66 with me aboard. Luckily was rescued.

Yeah, I knew Bob Kirksey real well, great pilot & Officer. He was CO VA-55 in '67 (our Sister Squadron). Last saw him at a VA-55 reunion in Pensacola about 10 yrs. ago.

Thanks all for the welcome.

You're in... now give with the sea stories.:)

Steve

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4s Forever...
I have no recollection of a CO last name Stanley. I spent '62 to '65 in the VA-125 RAG & any PXO/PCO would have gone through there, I would've known him (unless he was east coast)?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
A4s Forever...
I have no recollection of a CO last name Stanley. I spent '62 to '65 in the VA-125 RAG & any PXO/PCO would have gone through there, I would've known him (unless he was east coast)?
No ... he advertises West Coast and WestPac ONLY ... I think there might be a "problem" there -- and based on input similar to yours from other Lemoore drivers in both light-attack communities ... I've thought that there's a "problem" for years.

ANYWAY
... enough of that; it's good to have another A-4 Driver onboard -- if we play our cards ... just ... right .... we'll have ALL of these guys workin' for US one of these days. :D

H60Gunner

Contributor
... enough of that; it's good to have another A-4 Driver onboard -- if we play our cards ... just ... right .... we'll have ALL of these guys workin' for US one of these days. :D
[/B]

Jeezus! TWO of them, now what? This is like the "no more than one SEAL at a time can go to SERE" because they will take over the place if plural.:D:D:D:eek:

brownshoe

Contributor
[/B]

Okay... what do you two, need? Fuel, bombs or both?:)

Steve