• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The UNOFFICIAL list of things to bring to OCS

navyblue84

Hey guys, so I just got my orders and looked over the list of "Things to bring to OCS" distributed by OTCP and started to buy a couple things. But I was hoping for some gouge from all those who've gone through OCS about UNOFFICIAL list of important things to bring to OCS, the things that only officer candidates know are essential to the process. Like I've heard it's good to bring clear nail polish, a small flashlight, etc. Is there anything else, not on the official list, that I should bring that'll make life at OCS "less difficult," if you know what I mean.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
condoms.

Oh wait, that didn't do the guy who brought them any good, but it was funny for us as Candi-o's.

Brasso, but keep it in your car initially.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Why would you need Brasso? You put that on any of your buckles it'll take the finish right off.

Bring a headlamp <not flashlight, though you do want one of them>... And bring one of those compact fleece sleeping bags.

Cell phones/candy/laptop??? all at your own risk... some had them, some didn't... some who had them got caught with them... esp if GySgt Walters is your DI.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
ChuckMK23 said:
WHat the F*ck is Mop N' Glow for?

Get a cotton ball, apply a small amount to shoes for a really nice shine... except in the end it jacks up your shoes...

FYI... the decks are so nasty and FUBAR that short of stripping and really waxing them, the best you can do is mop them... don't waste your time mop n glowing them.

PropStop

pilot
Contributor
VetteMuscle427 said:
Why would you need Brasso? You put that on any of your buckles it'll take the finish right off.

oh yeah, they use anodized now... Well if you had brass w/ quartermasters then the brasso would have been useful.

navyblue84

Thanks for the info guys! I do want to bring my cell phone for calls home on the weekend...I know it's important to keep it locked up out of sight of the DI...but where's the best place to keep it when you arrive so that you don't automatically get it taken away upon reporting...in your pocket? bag?

Sabre170

None
We had several who brought the blue painters tape (for inspections and marking the tables... etc.), cear fingerneail polish or something like it from walmart that helps stop frays and IPs, flash memory stick (needed for CandiO phase), flash cards with rank structure, general orders, code of conduct, and chain of command (if you can get an up to date list)... Others brought a duffle bag full of non perishable junk food (beef jerky, granola bars, etc... stuff that will not melt in the trunk of your car).

Start weaning yourself off coffee and practise eating with a spoon.

PropStop

pilot
Contributor
Sabre170 said:
Start weaning yourself off coffee and practise eating with a spoon.

You don't eat with a spoon at OCS, you eat with a WAR SPOON! HOOYAAA!

jride200

Any recent OCS grads care to chime in on the discussion? What need I bring? I'm packing my bags, with little time to spare. By the way, what are the half dozen or so white t-shirts used for? Are these to be used as undershirts, PT gear, or perhaps something else?

Thanks, JR

jride200

"You will wear them." I figured this much. Probably my anal retentive nature, but I'm wondering if I should bring comfy 100% cotton or something better at moisture wicking.

JR