• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Officer Recruiter is in...

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Ladies and Gents,

An AW poster from before, I have recently started my assignment as an OR (like I'd tell you guys where exactly I am!). If anyone has any questions feel free to ask them on this forum or PM if you feel necessary. I'll try to catch up and answer as many questions as possible. Some questions might be easy to answer, some might require some research/asking around, and even some I'm not at liberty to discuss. But needless to say I hope to help out as many prospective Naval Officers as I can.

With that being said... shoot away!

Renegade One

None
Ladies and Gents,

An AW poster from before, I have recently started my assignment as an OR for the SoCal area...I hope to help out as many prospective Naval Officers as I can.

With that being said... shoot away!
Dude, thanks for updating your role. Standby for some interaction, I'm sure…. :)

Just guessing, of course, but if you're not in San Diego…WTF?

exNavyOffRec

I would recommend remaining somewhat anonymous in order to provide some real good info, you will see many people here get jerked around from their OR's, sometimes due to iffy COC's, sometimes due to clueless OR's, sometimes due to OR's that are just "filling a spot" at the NRD.

Make sure you keep your CIRIMS access handy!

FormerRecruitingGuru

I would recommend remaining somewhat anonymous in order to provide some real good info, you will see many people here get jerked around from their OR's, sometimes due to iffy COC's, sometimes due to clueless OR's, sometimes due to OR's that are just "filling a spot" at the NRD.

Make sure you keep your CIRIMS access handy!

Noted. I'm mainly here to help out, not take away applicants who already are working with other recruiters.

exNavyOffRec

Noted. I'm mainly here to help out, not take away applicants who already are working with other recruiters.

I wouldn't think that, it is amazing the number of people I have seen miss boards because of the OR not giving them proper information, if a person misses a board because of their failure to get documentation to the OR well then, that is on them, I always went from the standpoint that I hold a person's potential career in my hands.

A tip for you is being an OR is not a 9-5 job, just like being a Chief or DIVO is not a 9-5 job, calls will come on Saturday's, just like they did on the ship, if anything should you not be able to answer the phone at least send an email letting them know you heard the voicemail, you do that and before you know it you will have applicants coming to you saying "Joe said you really helped him out, I want to apply" and before you know it you will be a superstar OR, but more important is knowing you had a positive effect on a person's life.

Some do think it is a 9-5 job.

JULIET_SIERRA

FINSEL: 07-14 OCS (SNA)
Thank you RUFiO181 and NavyOffRec for helping fill the information gap created by our ORs. That being said I have a question: At the start of my application process I was assigned to OR-A who told me there were Student Loan Repayment Assistance programs available but he would not discuss until after I was selected. Midway through my application process I was assigned to OR-B and now that I have been selected he says that there are no such programs. Are there or are there not Student Loan Repayment Assistance programs? Thank you in advance for the clarification!

exNavyOffRec

Thank you RUFiO181 and NavyOffRec for helping fill the information gap created by our ORs. That being said I have a question: At the start of my application process I was assigned to OR-A who told me there were Student Loan Repayment Assistance programs available but he would not discuss until after I was selected. Midway through my application process I was assigned to OR-B and now that I have been selected he says that there are no such programs. Are there or are there not Student Loan Repayment Assistance programs? Thank you in advance for the clarification!

Unless things have just changed, there is no loan repayment for general officer programs, and there hasn't been for quite a long time, was your OR a prior enlisted recruiter? on the enlisted side there is or was.

JULIET_SIERRA

FINSEL: 07-14 OCS (SNA)
Unless things have just changed, there is no loan repayment for general officer programs, and there hasn't been for quite a long time, was your OR a prior enlisted recruiter? on the enlisted side there is or was.
Both of my ORs have been enlisted (PO1 and CPO)

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
My info is dated, but you used to be able to defer student loan payments for your first two years in the Navy. So, you'll be picking up JG (with that raise) about the same time you have to repaying student loans.

IIRC, it wasn't a Navy program per se, it was a program within the Student Loan system.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Unless you're applying for medical programs there isn't a loan repayment program for General Officer Programs. However, many loan organizations have deferrments or ways to ease your payments. Contact whichever bank/loan institution you owe money and explain your situation and hopefully they'll be able to give you a clear answer.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
JS, on top of the things already mentioned:

A) under the Servicemember's Civil Relief Act, if your student debt (in fact, any debt you have at the moment) carries a higher rate than 6%, it'll be reduced to 6% upon entering military service;

and B) there's a commissioning loan available from USAA that can also help you with paying off your student loans. I know it sounds silly to take on debt to pay off other debt, but here are the stats - $25,000 loan at 2.99% APR fixed (works out to a monthly payment of about $450 over five years). So if your student debt is at a higher rate than that, it's worth looking into.

LegoNavy

Hello Rufio,

Thank you for your post and offer to help. I have a couple questions that I was hoping you, or someone with OR experience, could help answer for me. I was pro-rec'ed into the CEC this past May, and since then my OR has told me the Program Manager is unable to get me a Final Selection Letter with OCS Class date. The reason my OR is giving me is that candidates like pilots, NFOs, and SEALS get priority over someone like me going into the CEC, and that I'll just have to wait until the PM gets around to me. I was wondering if 1) this is true, and 2) if it is true, how long could I be looking at for a final selection letter/Class date?

Another question I have is that I recently got married. Are there forms I need to fill out because of this?

Thank you in advance!

CTFly1

Greetings!

I completed my last classes for my bachelors this past weekend. It would take almost two months for me to actually receive a copy of my degree. However, I could get documentation from the school showing that I completed all degree requirements and a breakdown of my GPA. Should that be sufficient to include with my package? Thanks.

Greetings!

I completed my last classes for my bachelors this past weekend. It would take almost two months for me to actually receive a copy of my degree. However, I could get documentation from the school showing that I completed all degree requirements and a breakdown of my GPA. Should that be sufficient to include with my package? Thanks.

If I may answer this, I never had to show my degree to my recruiter. All my OR needed was an official final transcript from the school. So yes the documentation should suffice.