• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Chinese officially have a Boat...

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The PLAN commissioned the Liaoning earlier today. Vanity project or game-changer?

For all the Deep Thinkers opening about how carriers are outdated, there sure are a lot of countries putting a lot of money into them...

Any interest here in a 'career-enhancing' foreign exchange gig with the Chinese Navy on their first carrier? How about Handler or Shooter (fluency in Mandarin a plus)...?:confused:
LIAONING.jpg
Can you say "Chinese fire drill" for the first 20-25 years?:eek:
BzB

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I think Chinese naval air is going to use it to cut their teeth, in an "institutional" sense of the phrase, learning how to operate aircraft off ships- how to launch/recover/arm/maintain the aircraft, doctrine, maintain the ship, refuel/resupply the ship, etc...

After several years of the above, I think they will have figured out how many carriers they want to have. And then they will more or less copy this ship and build that many.

As for my opinion on possible timelines,
We commissioned Langley in 1922, we commissioned Lexington and Saratoga in 1927, and by the mid 1930s we had a force to be reckoned with.​
Japan commissioned Akgagi in 1927, Kaga in 1928...​
The UK commissioned Argus in 1918, Hermes in 1924, Ark Royal in 1930 (technically "re-commissioned")...​

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
When do the Japanese get their obligatory Self Defense Power Projection flattop aircraft carrying non offensive ship?

CAMike

None
Contributor
Let's hope the Chinese SWO's are better ship handlers than their aviator counterparts. I'll worry when we have to wait for our turn in the SoCal Unrep lanes.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Let's hope the Chinese SWO's are better ship handlers than their aviator counterparts. I'll worry when we have to wait for our turn in the SoCal Unrep lanes.

I had never seen this footage before, definitely makes the hair stand up on the back of your neck. Is there anymore, including the actual collision?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pretty good article in Foreign Policy summarizing the challenges the PLAN faces. Executive summary: it was a hell of a lot of work just getting this thing underway, and now the hard part starts. They've got to demonstrate some proficiency and tactical acumen with their new boat, otherwise it's a waste of money - i.e., no one's scared of a Boat that just makes circles offshore every once in a while.