• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Test Pilot

JWL

Disclaimer: I used the search function, but I was not able to yield any results.

How does one go about applying to USNTPS once a pilot? Is this considered a desirable track to pursue? Is typically reserved for fighters/ jet pilots/aspiring astronauts? Do helo pilots, for example, also go to USNTPS?

Is it expected USNTPS obtain graduate degrees in a technical subject before, during, or after attending USNTPS?

robav8r

None
Contributor
Dude - do you know how to use Google, Wikipedia, or any of the other search engines/internet resources ???

xmid

pilot
Contributor
There is a board to select applicants. Sometimes. It definitely is not the best track if you want to make command. No. Yes.

A graduate degree makes you more competitive for the board. If you go to some shitty non-flying shore tour it's not going to save you. There is also a program to get one while you are there.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...It definitely is not the best track if you want to make command...

If you become an AEDO though you could get a VX squadron command, from what I remember what my buddy who was an AEDO showed me roughly half of AEDO's are TPS grads.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
FWIW, word on the street is that they're hurting for applicants, so the chances of getting accepted will be fairly good.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I think that's community specific. Or maybe I just suck that much.

I think for VFA/VAQ (or anyone with upward legs towards the majors), there is a lack of interest right now in programs that incur extra service obligation past wings+8. Many of would/did them anyway, but for the current "on the fence" crowd of first tour JO's, probably not their bag for the most part.

Python

pilot
Contributor
I think for VFA/VAQ (or anyone with upward legs towards the majors), there is a lack of interest right now in programs that incur extra service obligation past wings+8. Many of would/did them anyway, but for the current "on the fence" crowd of first tour JO's, probably not their bag for the most part.

I have heard this for SFTI but not USNTPS. No shit last SFARP the Weapons School SFTIs were trying to recruit people to go to the course. Apparently the interest has gotten pretty low lately.

If that is also happening for TPS that is pretty interesting. Everyone is trying to bail ASAP.

Pags

N/A
pilot
What does TPS do for you in the fleet? Or do all the grads go to the VXs?
TPS grads typically incur a 24mo obligation to the VX they're slated to go to. Can't remember if the obligation specifically incurs a return to the fleet as a DH. However, in my experience some go back to the fleet as DHs and others lateral transfer in to the AEDO community. A lot of those who go to the fleet as DHs come back to the acquisition world as COTF folks, TPS instructors, GFTDs (VX DHs), Class Desks, IPT leads, VX COs, Program Managers, PEOs, and NAVAIR actual.