• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-6B NATOPS, Primary Contact - Thinking Ahead

Hammer10k

pilot
Hi all,

Primary is starting soon and I'm hoping to flip through some T-6B literature before classing up. There's a lot of info on the web from the T-6B NATOPS to checklist study guides. This website has some pubs for download http://www.t6bdriver.com/pubs.html

I'm not planning to do intense reading but found an old Primary Contact guide was helpful for thinking about how the IFS and API lessons apply. EP's have up in a few conversations. I've also been going to the beach and Flora-Bama.

Does anyone have advice on a good way to read ahead? Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Since you insist, memorize that ops limits/critical action/boldface thing. Memorize it as well as you memorized the general orders of a sentry/lunch menu/whatever thing you used to have to spout off perfectly while you were getting PT'ed and yelled at at the same time. Learn it as well as you know the national anthem. If you can recite the whole thing while you're giving yourself a distraction then you'll be in good shape for primary (tossing a tennis ball in the air, paddleball, standing on one foot, running, anything like that... sounds goofy until you try it and realize you don't know your procedures).

Enjoy your time around Pensacola.

Hammer10k

pilot
Since you insist, memorize that ops limits/critical action/boldface thing. Memorize it as well as you memorized the general orders of a sentry/lunch menu/whatever thing you used to have to spout off perfectly while you were getting PT'ed and yelled at at the same time. Learn it as well as you know the national anthem and you'll be in good shape for primary. Enjoy your time around Pensacola.

Will do! Thank you Sir!

Rugby_Guy

Livin on a Prayer
pilot
And while you are memorizing those EPs, learn the notes warnings and cautions associated with them. They don't need to be verbatim (like the EPs do) but you need to know them nonetheless.

TexasForever

pilot
EP's first (with notes, cautions, and warnings), then limits, then learn all MDG maneuvers and all required control inputs. Then memorize important checklists. Pretakeoff/takeoff/posttakeoff checklist and the before landing checklist. Learn those so well that two years after your last T-6 flight you can still rattle it off like it was yesterday. Defog-Off, Engine Inst.- Check, Gear-Down, Brakes-Check, Flaps-T/O (because that's the best one to use duh), Speedbrake retracted (even though you can't extend it with gear down). If you get your EPs, Limits, MDG manuevers and those checklists done before you start ground school you need to chill the f out. Bonus- Get a friend thats ahead of you in the syllabus, get a practice sim and practice course rules and the landing pattern with all associated comms.

Enjoy the process and the people you are there with now too. If you don't go to New Orleans, Biloxi, and at least two SEC football games while you're there you're doing it all wrong. If you don't know what a diesel fuel or a bushwacker is you're doing it wrong. If you haven't wandered the museum a couple times in awe of what you've signed up to do you're doing it wrong.

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
And while you are memorizing those EPs, learn the notes warnings and cautions associated with them. They don't need to be verbatim (like the EPs do) but you need to know them nonetheless.
Enjoy the process and the people you are there with now too. If you don't go to New Orleans, Biloxi, and at least two SEC football games while you're there you're doing it all wrong. If you don't know what a diesel fuel or a bushwacker is you're doing it wrong. If you haven't wandered the museum a couple times in awe of what you've signed up to do you're doing it wrong.
That's everything I did. I look back on it and had a blast.

dahlel

Came to the darkside
pilot
Same as everyone else. Id recommend EP's and Limits. Since you have the time, see if you can get the systems CD given out from a buddy in primary. The CD has all the systems on it in detail. The EP's might make a little more sense when you understand the aircraft systems and stick better than rote memorization.

You'll get enough of systems regardless in contact ground school but it might give you an advantage.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For those of you who have flown T-6 recently (as in since 2009), is the mnemonic for the 11 prohibited maneuvers still If I Perform Satisfactory Spins And Satisfactory Stalls, Alcohol Ass Titties?

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
For those of you who have flown T-6 recently (as in since 2009), is the mnemonic for the 11 prohibited maneuvers still If I Perform Satisfactory Spins And Satisfactory Stalls, Alcohol Ass Titties?

Being able to teach this mnemonic to bright-eyed flight school students is a bullet point on the Pros side for heading back to VTs.