• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Swimming at API

HueyCobra8151

pilot
15m underwater off of a platform, 1mi timed, a bunch of tread and floats with different amounts of flight gear on.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
You'll also do a bunch of 'workouts' leading up to the above listed events. I remember playing water polo, doing 20 minute swims doing various strokes, etc. I'm a decent swimmer, average I'd say, and it wasn't bad.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I am a crappy swimmer and made it through. 72 minutes on the mile swim...thanks Navy, I feel safer!
The helo dunker makes it all worth the pain, it was by far the most fun I had in API.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Unless that was sarcasm...you're a strange, strange mammal.
I loved the helo dunker! Especially sitting on the bleachers watching other peoples reactions! I think it is the most valuable portion of our training.

I hate that much of our training is in a semi-unreal scenario...like swimming with a non-fitting unpadded helmet, inflating your vest orally without flipping on my back, etc. I think next LPNV I am going to pop off my helmet when (surprise!) my vest doesn't inflate and use it to float while I inflate that puppy. Oh, and getting a small ass helmet so it doesn't pop over my nose while I swim.

Or just flail and splash until they get sick of watching like the last 3 passes through LPNV...

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I loved the helo dunker! Especially sitting on the bleachers watching other peoples reactions! I think it is the most valuable portion of our training.

I hate that much of our training is in a semi-unreal scenario...like swimming with a non-fitting unpadded helmet, inflating your vest orally without flipping on my back, etc. I think next LPNV I am going to pop off my helmet when (surprise!) my vest doesn't inflate and use it to float while I inflate that puppy. Oh, and getting a small ass helmet so it doesn't pop over my nose while I swim.

Or just flail and splash until they get sick of watching like the last 3 passes through LPNV...

"Sir, why aren't you frog kicking?!" "Because my harness and G suit are big enough to fit Andre the Giant, and I think the size 19 boot on my right foot just fell off- though the 6 on my left foot is still snugly in place."

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I think next LPNV I am going to pop off my helmet when (surprise!) my vest doesn't inflate and use it to float while I inflate that puppy.

I've tried that before (like I was taught in a previous class). It was not met with enthusiasm.

I just went through in July and, as usual, the LPU zipper didn't separate like it's supposed to. While the diver was trying to trouble-shoot, I was chastised for being on my back waiting for him to finish.

I will say everything else in the course was well done and the new SWET Trainer is SOOOOOO much better.

BUDU

The helo dunker itself was fine. The practice chairs in the shallow end of the pool sucked.

"Sir, why aren't you frog kicking?!" "Because my harness and G suit are big enough to fit Andre the Giant, and I think the size 19 boot on my right foot just fell off- though the 6 on my left foot is still snugly in place."
So much chafing, so much chafing....

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
I loved the dunker. Though everytime I was blind-folded (blind-goggled?) I swam out the wrong exit. If there's a big-ass opening in the side of the helo irl, I'm getting out!