• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Supply Corps career progression

rhollin1

I found this document called "It's your career". It's from the Chief of Supply Corps and documents the steps necessary to be a successful Supply Corp officer. It is available at http://www.csp.navy.mil/n41/n411/docs/iyco.pdf

Pain...is weakness leaving the body

sonnyb

rhollin

I just finished reading that really great link about the supply Corps. Do you guys have any idea if, following our completion of supply school in Athens, we have a say as to what assignments we get? I've got a degree in accounting, so I'm really interested in financial management, accounting and auditing, and acquisitions.

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
Originally posted by sonnyb
I just finished reading that really great link about the supply Corps. Do you guys have any idea if, following our completion of supply school in Athens, we have a say as to what assignments we get? I've got a degree in accounting, so I'm really interested in financial management, accounting and auditing, and acquisitions.

I have a few friends who went through supply school. Based on your class rank, you will pick from a list of available jobs. Shore billets like the ones you mentioned are rare. You should expect to go to a ship as the disbursing officer, sales officer, or food service officer. Good Luck!!

LUCK = THE INTERSECTION OF PREPARATION AND OPPORTUNITY

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
Originally posted by John WickhamBut, on the CG, you weren't ships company, you had probably a five man stateroom all to yourselves, the flight crew, so what, 3 pilots?
Wish that was the case, but no - not when you have have a Shoe XO and an OIC intent on making the Air Det "part of the crew."

Actually I fared pretty well. Shared a two-man DH stateroom with the CHENG, who was never there, so I could keep it nice and dark... Plus it had TV, computer, printer, lots of space. Aside from the occasional middle-of-the-night phone call (ship getting low on water, heads don't work, etc.), it was pretty good living.

LUCK = THE INTERSECTION OF PREPARATION AND OPPORTUNITY

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Ouch, my condolences... the other rotorhead, gatordev, has the setup I just mentioned on the small boy he is on. Hopefully he won't be "integrated" as much, "crew rest damnit, I said crew rest!".

Ahh the memories, could this also have happened ... Messenger of the watch banging on the door, "Uh CHENG, you just WON'T believe what/who we found in the fan room!" [:D]

psrogers

Intel Officer
Ken Lay was in the USN Supply Corp (former CEO of Enron)...

He is a corrupt, but very rich man. (Random fact)

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Questions for supply officers.

I have been selected for supply via BDCP, but haven't sworn in yet. I have a few questions as to the life of a supply officer, both post navy, and during. First of all, I would like to know a few basic pros and cons of being a supply officer, and what the community is like as well as any career insights you can give (if you had another shot at the navy, would do supply all over again?)

Also, what is the job market like after leaving a navy supply officer position? I heard that a six figure income isn't hard to come by after you have been a supply officer in the navy.

Do you enjoy what you do, or does it bore you to tears? Any other insight you could provide would be outstanding. I am strongly considering the supply pipeline, I would just like some pointers from those of you that have been there, or are there now. Thanks.

ducam23

Supply Corps - BDCP 2007
I have heard the same thing abotu having a 6 figure income after the navy but i'm not in supply corps yet so I for sure. It's not like its handed to you on a silver platter. You still have to work and distinguish yourself, at minimum get a warfare qual pin. They are hard to get but worth it in the long run. I have heard people being bored out of their minds with some billets but those are ridculously easy and not challenging in anyway. This is just somethings I've heard so I'm not possitive.

ducam23

Supply Corps - BDCP 2007
damn. that's crazy. 80% for commander, with promotion rates like that I don't think I'll be getting out of the navy after 4 years. I'm glad I'm Supply BDCP, we've got it made. (but that'll probably all change by the time i'm commissioned in 2007)

ducam23 said:
On a side note, I found this PowerPoint comparing Navy pay and benefits to Civie pay and benefits. I thought some people might be interested to read it.

http://www.navybdcp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=16#16

That version of the slide show is old. I will post the new one if I ever run into it on NKO. Basically the earnings section of it is way outdated and understated.

That ppt shows that a civilian would have to make $55-60 grand for an after tax equivalent of an O-3 in San Diego. A pay/earnings calculator at www.staynavy.navy.mil estimates it at around $95,000 today.