• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Supplements for Armstrong Workout

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRM21o

What supplements would you recommend for the Armstrong program? I am heavier than I would like..6'1" 197lbs and don't want to gain a lot of weight but I want to gain strength. Should I take anything after tearing down my muscles or is it all a waste of money? Thanks.

farkle84

protein. thats it. you would take creatine but you would definitely get bigger. i am the same size as you. i took creatine for a while and gained what i wanted and maintained it now by just taking protein.

Spin

SNA in Meridian
Just my 2 cents but you should stay away from the supplements as you will not be allowed to use them at OCS. Your body will become dependent on them and you might revert back to how you were before you took them.

If strength is what you want, I would suggest researching a good "weight" strength routine and working that into your schedule. As far as the armstrong program ..... if you follow it you will be fine and see a dramatic improvement in about 4 weeks depending where you are right now. Again just my 2 cents.

Peace,

-Spin

jaerose

No disrespect meant to Spin, but I disagree. Although you can't take supplements at OCS...you will be able to do so following (with exceptions). I would definitely do like farkle said and invest in a whey protein powder (you can get 5 lbs. for like $22.00 at www.dpsnutrition.net), some glutamine powder (to prevent muscle breakdown, or catabolism...take before/after workout...prior to bed), a good mutlivitamin...I use centrum performance, then some CLA, which is a fat that helps your fat metabolism stay up and your testosterone levels stay elevated as well. Those are my "Big 4" and they work well for strength and recovery. Plus, since they're all found in foods, they have no side effects (unless you aren't used to a protein shake...then you might make a couple runs to the head)! Also, hydrate and don't forget to get enough sleep...that will stop your gains. Good luck and I hope that helps.

JR

farkle84

i used supplements until the very day i left for OCS and i was fine, my body didnt depend on anything. its a lot more heart at OCS than what your body needs. you may think you are at the breaking point, but you know you can do more. so protein and glutamine are good. i wouldnt take creatine just because it make you retain a lot of water, but whatever you want. you will want strength, but also more important you will want endurance and stamina at OCS, so make sure you do cardio or run at least twice a week. i lifted weights six times a week and cardio for 30 minutes two times a week and i did well at OCS. remember, its about heart, you want to show everyone else you can do more than what every else may think you can, and you want to show the staff that you have heart are willing to got that extra effort. good luck

jaerose

Yeah, creatine will help your recovery, but in this circumstance I don't think I'd use it. I used to take it and it helps, but I read somewhere (which might be wrong) that pilots aren't allowed to take it. Anyway, if you don't hydrate properly to begin with...then take creatine, then you're going to become even more dehydrated because creatine forces water into the muscle cells (hence the immediate weight gain from water), so you must consume larger amounts of water. The supplements I listed will help you out and they're nothing more than proteins and fats.

JR

Spin

SNA in Meridian
It's all good folks ..... like I said just my 2 cents. Everyone knows what works for them best!

jaerose

Yeah, I didn't want you to think I was trying to be a jerk...you know, it's all opinion, except what works for each individual...trial and error is the only way to find out what will work for you.

JR

perchul

I've never read anything about creatine helping recovery, its intended to let your muscles store more ATP which is just some substance the muscles use for energy, glutamine however does help recovery and its the most abundant amino acid in most foods, but if your working hard you may want to ingest more anyway.

Tolerance only benefits the weak

jaerose

Then you should read some more about creatine (Kreb's cycle). You see, creatine is useful because when ATP is broken down for energy into ADP there is a free phosphate group floating around. When your muscles have enough creatine present, the creatine binds to the free phosphate group creating creatine phosphate. So, when more ATP is broken down to ADP, the creatine releases the phosphate group, which in turn binds to the ADP creating more ATP. What this means is creatine helps you recover ATP, which helps you and your muscles recover more quickly.

JR

BTW, I was formerly a biology/chemistry double major with a sports science minor.

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
true about the creatine..but I've always been wary about supplements. I always figure that if you eat correctly you get what your body needs. I eat balanced, if I feel the need to increase protein i will simply increase the amount of meat I give myself. I don't take outside vitamin sources either. I used to be a physical therapy major, but it amounted to two more years of school and to be quite honest, wasn't really interested in it anymore. Man i remember getting test questions on the Krebs cycle in physiology :) I'm glad that's over! Jearose, doesn't lactic acid play a role in energy recovery as well (so that the means for energy recovery never totally leave the system)? I can't remember, I'm really rusty on that stuff...

"Push the stick foward, the houses get bigger; pull back, the houses get smaller... unless you keep pulling back, then they get bigger again."

jaerose

Lactic acid is a by-product of the krebs cycle (anaerobic energy production). You don't get too much lactic acid build up with aerobic exercise unless you're pushing your lactic acid threshold, which means you're near your VO2 max. I can't believe I remember that after a night at the bars...hola mr. cuervo!

Anyways, for macronutrients like carbs, protein and fat...adjusting your food intake is okay, but in order to get enough creatine you'd have to eat more red meat in a day than you could handle. I just started a creatine cycle again because I'm losing lots of weight/fat and I want to spare my muscle tissue. To each his own. Not everyone needs to supplement, but I'm on a calorie restricted diet and doing about 2-2.5 hrs. of cardio per day plus lifting 4-5 days a week...which means I need the extra kick in the pants 'cause my diet isn't providing it. Okay...time to hit the pillow like it's talkin' about my mom =)

JR

turbospider2k

Damnit Jerose, you beat me to it
icon_smile.gif

Bottom line - you can work muscles longer prior to exhaustion as creatine (sp?) staves off lactic acid build-up. I've never used it myself.

BTW - What is the Armstrong Method?

jaerose

Look around on these posts and you'll find it. It's just a program for improving your push-ups...I think.

perchul,

That's not what I was intended to come off as...sorry. I think I was in a bad mood when I posted that, so I apologize for the 'in your face' tone of the post.

JR

Status
Not open for further replies.