• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Submitting my package soon, When would I report for OCS?

DHudock

I graduate in May, I'm taking the ASTB in two days and once done I will have my package complete and ready to submit. If I get it in this month (Jan 09) Would I ship out soon after my May graduation?

Also, any tips on the ASTB math section? I can fly through the Reading/Verbal and Mechanical sectons with time to spare, but the Math section takes me a lot longer than the 25 min. alotted for 30 questions. Is there anything besides basic Multiplication, Division, etc that I could study to help increase my speed?

ASHWND

(BDCP) Supply Corps OC
If you haven't already done so, go to the bookstore and buy the ARCO or Barrons ASTB prep book... They are usually where the SAT, MCAT, LSAT, etc. books are. These books will give you some good sample tests and study tips.
You just need to practice practice, and I would even suggest postponing for a week or two to make sure you are ready for all sections. You aren't going to make the JAN boards, so you have time to perfect your math skills. Waiting a week is better than waiting 30 days for a retake if necessary, or 6 months if you don't get selected because of you ASTB scores.

Nobody can give you an exact answer about an OCS start date, could be a week after graduation, could be 3 months, could be longer even. But you shouldn't worry about that, focus on your OCS package. What are you going for? Pilot? NFO? Suppy?

I agree with ASHWND, you can't be sure of your OCS date. I, for example, was pro-rec'd by the October board, but I'm still sitting around my parents' house watching the flies on the wall, and my OR told me I might be at OCS by December. I suppose it's even possible I might not leave until March. Just worry about your package and if you have to wait, oh well. That comes with the territory. Just take care of the ASTB.

DHudock

What do you mean "make the JAN boards?" Like if i submit my package this month it won't be looked at yet?

I'm going for SWO

Lobster

What do you mean "make the JAN boards?" Like if i submit my package this month it won't be looked at yet?

You're package would have had to have been complete by the 1st of the month to get reviewed this month, right now you're going to get looked at in the Feb boards at the earliest...didn't your OR tell you this?

DHudock

No he hasn't explained much of this part of the Package process, he's the busiest recruiter at the office.

The only thing with postponing my ASTB from tomorrow to next week is that classes start for me this wednesday. I would not have as much time to study next week asI have had this week because of xmas break. So I dont know whether I should postpone or not.

srqwho

pilot
Also, any tips on the ASTB math section? I can fly through the Reading/Verbal and Mechanical sectons with time to spare, but the Math section takes me a lot longer than the 25 min. alotted for 30 questions. Is there anything besides basic Multiplication, Division, etc that I could study to help increase my speed?

It seemed that for most of the math problems there was a short way and a long way to get the same answer... or in other words, there are short-cuts that you should know that will help you reduce your overall time. I found that my old GRE study book was very helpful in this regard. You may want to head over to a B&N and take a look at one to see if you think it will help.

DHudock

Yea i've got three test prep books Barrons, Arco, and Peterson's. And Ive printed a bunch of practice problems off the internet. I'll look into the shortcuts. Thanks

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
^--- I found that practicing the problems over and over and over again helped me. I did the USAF and Army math problems as well. They are all very similar, just different variables. The ones that you miss, go to the back of the book and learn how to do them, apply those rules to the similar problem. After you have done it enough, you should be able to do them in your sleep.

I also picked up a remedial algebra and geometry book (not a text book, more of a 'for dummies' book) for like 10 bucks a piece that really helped. This helped me remember all the rules and terms that I had forgotten since 9th grade, plus a short cut or two.

After a couple weeks of this, I flew through the ASTB and did well. Repetition will help your time, not cramming all types of short cuts that you can barely remember.

el douge

This one time at band camp...
Learn to be concious of how much time you're spending on each problem. Be able to recognize when you're taking too long. I learned this by retaking the $hit out of practice tests and timing myself EVERY time...it really helped. BTW I took my ASTB last April, applied in August and I class up for OCS this Sunday Jan. 11th.

Just thought I'd give you a bit of a timeline to go by...Best of Luck to you and don't take the ASTB until YOU feel you're as ready as you can be.

KingofHarts

Hello all. I am new to this forum. I am currently finishing up a deployment with the Army; my second 15-month deployment. I am looking forward to seeing how much different Navy life will be for my family and I. I will be taking the ASTB sometime in the near future. I am just beginning the prep work. Switching branches is a bit time consuming as well. I separate from the Army in August and was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on how to make the process go a little smoother and maybe a little quicker. I am married and have 2 kids, so being jobless for a long period of time is not an option for me. Thanks for any help!