• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Studying for OAR

alexis.smith22

Does anyone have any tips on studying for the OAR? I recently took the OAR on June 25, 2018, and I scored poorly. I have to wait for 31 days before I retake the OAR. I am going to schedule to take my next exam at the end of July 2018. I going into the Navy (Oceanography and Meteorology) as an officer because I have graduated with my Bachelors in Science.

I used several sites to prepare for the OAR including this one that includes practice exams for all three sections (https://www.triviumtestprep.com/oar-practice-test/). I also found some links posted on this air warriors forum before I was approved to post and I looked over them. I would like suggestions about the OAR study guide book, would that book be helpful? Please let me know what did you use to study for the OAR.

If you have any suggestions on how and what you studied please comment or message me. Thanks kindly!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Does anyone have any tips on studying for the OAR? I recently took the OAR on June 25, 2018, and I scored poorly. I have to wait for 31 days before I retake the OAR. I am going to schedule to take my next exam at the end of July 2018. I going into the Navy (Oceanography and Meteorology) as an officer because I have graduated with my Bachelors in Science.

I used several sites to prepare for the OAR including this one that includes practice exams for all three sections (https://www.triviumtestprep.com/oar-practice-test/). I also found some links posted on this air warriors forum before I was approved to post and I looked over them. I would like suggestions about the OAR study guide book, would that book be helpful? Please let me know what did you use to study for the OAR.

If you have any suggestions on how and what you studied please comment or message me. Thanks kindly!

There are countless resources all within the click of a button. Search around and you will easily find your answer.

allenj3

The original post stands, check out the ASTB section of AWs. People go into great detail about how to study for the math, reading, and mechanical portions of the OAR...

Hi,

"ASTB section of AWs" where do you find that? Is it a thread in the forums? (New to the site)

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
animated-light-bulb-gif-20.gif

exNavyOffRec

Oceano is very competitive so I hope you have a very high GPA, they only take a few per year and have a degree in either Oceanology or Meteorology.

Seahawk04

If you are still preparing for OAR, here is my experience. Hopefully it will help you out.

I only studied for two weeks and did fine on my OAR. I could have done better if I had studied longer or had worked on calming my nerves while taking the test.

Anyway, if you are not already good at reading comprehension there is no hope for you. There is nothing you can do to improve your vocabulary in such a short period. What you could do is get really really good at the other two sections of the test i.e. Math and Mechanical Reasoning. Those are easy to master if you know what to study for. I would recommend taking practice tests and focus on the topics rather than the questions covered in the test. For example, if the question is asking for a Mechanical Advantage of a pulley system, study mechanical advanatge of all machines and also study everything you can find on pulleys. Same goes for electricity; study how electricity works, study circuits (parallel and series), and learn all associated formulas. All the information can be found on youtube. You don't have to be an expert on all these topics but you should have basic understanding of the said subjects. Do the same for Math, everything you need to know is simple high school math. I went to the local library and studied GED books to brush up on formulas and topics I forgot since high school ( which for me was a loooong time ago). Take ASTB practice tests and only focus on the relevant portions. I also studied LSAT, SAT, and ACT exams but be careful, the layout of those test are different but they do cover basic topics you need to know. Now how did I read ALL these books in two weeks, you might ask, well, I knew what I wanted to study for and the topics I needed to improve. You can start by making a list of all the possible topics covered in a practice exam and then go to other sources and study for just those topics (if it makes sense). This may sound intimidating but once you start it will all make sense.

I hope this helps. Everyone learns differently and what works for me might not work for you. Good luck :)