• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

STA-21 v. King's Point

Christopher323

Stupid cunning and sly; bear considerable watching
Gentlemen and Ladies of Airwarriors,

I'm a recent 3rd class in the CT community fresh from A-school and am strongly considering applying to STA-21 despite the "nukes-only" rationale often espoused about said program. My circumstances have changed considerably since I originally posted on here asking about Marine Air, but I'm luckily still single without dependents; unfortunately too old for Annapolis but will still be eligible for USMMA for a few years.

I'm very close to 2 years TIS, did a number of collaterals at A-school, and have a civilian AA (Philosophy/Humanities) with a 4.0 and a 3.8 in Arabic from DLI, and have 105 units plus DLI credit. My SAT is old but was 2140, with only a 660 in Math (which would be higher now, due to free time study). My PRTs have all been Good or Excellent with my run being the restricting factor (stuck between 10:15-10:30 due to heavy lifting and too much size).

Is it better for STA applicants to apply "Core" and compete for NFO and SNA that way? I'm not afraid of SWO as it grants more opportunity compared to my desk and shore-bound CT duty currently, but does "Core" in reality have any more likelihood than a STA application direct to NFO/SNA?

The school I'm eyeballing most is Georgetown's SFS to study International Security, with Arabic and French (in both of which I'm DLPT proficient). Other programs like that are where I know I'd excel most easily and do the best after the Navy, which is why King's Point doesn't seem like the best idea, due to limited majors, but other factors are at play, too.

The upside of KP is the much smaller number of applicants from in-service, not to mention more potential for designators (like IDW/Intel, no matter how rare) as well as Marine NFO/SNA/other MOS's. The "motivated" major I'd take would be Marine Engineering Systems knowing I'd have to buckle down on the higher levels of Calculus I've not taken, Physics, et al, and otherwise pursue the Logistics and Security path.

Is it better to keep the fingers crossed for STA and otherwise disregard the Merchant Marine Academy for now, to avoid dividing efforts? I'm not extremely passionate about either KP degree and know that especially the first year would be a huge pain, but sea time and a degree four to six years from now are of much greater appeal to me than manning a desk ashore and just starting a degree on GI Bill after my EAS in 2020.

Any input and advice is appreciated.

With respect,
Chris

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Shotgun apps out to both processes.

STA-21 provided more core slots in recent years than SNA/SNFO slots.

You can always apply for SNA or SNFO as your first choice then CORE as the second choice. You'll service select you senior year like other ROTC students.

Apply early apply often to anyone that will get you where you want to go in life.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Concur with Zippy. Don't forget to factor in the cost of a school like Georgetown. Tuition alone is north of 25k per semester and DC is a very expensive city to live in. STA-21 will only cover a fraction of that.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think we have some KPers around the forum, but from my understanding, it gives you the most options for service or employment after graduation. Don't assume what you're interested in now will still be the case after graduation.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
In your position, I'd apply to both. At Georgetown you'd have a better lifestyle and your DLI credits might help you validate some courses. It would cost more. KP would cost less, and give you more options (potentially) after graduation than STA-21, but you'll put up with more BS while you're there. That said, I still had fun at KP and made some lasting friendships.

I was a systems major at KP (class of 2005) if you have any questions.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You may not be eligible for KP if you haven't taken calculus and a year of physics in high school. Hopefully STOLer can answer that.