• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

So, what do you do?

caburt1

Pretty simple question really but something I have been thinking about lately.

How do you respond when someone asks you what you do for a living? Do you tell them you are a Naval Aviator or a Student Naval Aviator? Why? Why not? How do you respond to follow on questions?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

How do you respond when someone asks you what you do for a living? Do you tell them you are a Naval Aviator or a Student Naval Aviator? Why? Why not? How do you respond to follow on questions?

What do YOU tell people?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Rodeo clown, crematorium technician, domestic waste disposal and transportation engineer (garbage man).

Tell them you wear boots and a nametag to work.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I'm assuming you're new at this. If asked in conversation, I'll tell someone exactly what I do. If their questions stray into actual OPSEC (this is rare), then I'm not going to be having the conversation in the first place, or I'll politely change the subject (a shrug, or pretending not to hear the question does a lot). If someone makes stupid jokes or starts acting like a know-it-all, I'll just excuse myself. You can usually spot a problem before you get to that point in conversation. I might mess with people once in a while if I'm inebriated. For example, I once told a girl at a bar I was a pizza delivery guy, and made up an elaborate story about flying pizzas to needy rich people in nearby cities. The details are hazy, but as I recall, she bought it. This being in my single days, I took her home, but did not marry her. :cool:

Python

pilot
Contributor
I'm assuming you're new at this. If asked in conversation, I'll tell someone exactly what I do. If their questions stray into actual OPSEC (this is rare), then I'm not going to be having the conversation in the first place, or I'll politely change the subject (a shrug, or pretending not to hear the question does a lot). If someone makes stupid jokes or starts acting like a know-it-all, I'll just excuse myself. You can usually spot a problem before you get to that point in conversation. I might mess with people once in a while if I'm inebriated. For example, I once told a girl at a bar I was a pizza delivery guy, and made up an elaborate story about flying pizzas to needy rich people in nearby cities. The details are hazy, but as I recall, she bought it. This being in my single days, I took her home, but did not marry her. :cool:

Reminds me of a pilot know using the penguin safety officer line.

Python

pilot
Contributor

I’ll tell them I’m a Navy pilot. What else could I say? As far as follow on questions...I just answer directly and tell the truth. Don’t overthink this.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
. . . I once told a girl at a bar I was a pizza delivery guy, and made up an elaborate story about flying pizzas to needy rich people in nearby cities.
Reminds me of a pilot know using the penguin safety officer line.
Some of the most entertaining shit I heard in flight school was people coming up with creative "alternative occupations" to pick up chicks in local bars, because they were convinced "I'm an SNA/SNFO" would just lead to "oh, not another one." I mean, if you're chasing SNAGs, maybe . . .

Pags

N/A
pilot
I had a buddy try and pick up a chick in San Diego by telling them he drove the trucks that moved the barriers on the Coronado Bay bridge. She looked him square in the eyes and said, "no you don't." He tried to keep pushing his story until she said, "my cousin drives one of those and there are only 5 guys in the city that drive them. I know all of those guys and you're not one of them." He thanked her for her time and moved on.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
When I was in Pensacola, I was a fan of saying I used to be a lawyer but then got into some trouble with the law, so I was currently working as a youth hockey coach as part of my community service. And then just basically seeing how deep you could go before she realized you were telling her the plot line of the Mighty Ducks.

Judge Q

Judging You
When I was in Pensacola, I was a fan of saying I used to be a lawyer but then got into some trouble with the law, so I was currently working as a youth hockey coach as part of my community service. And then just basically seeing how deep you could go before she realized you were telling her the plot line of the Mighty Ducks.

How many of them asked you for legal advice?

I feel like it'd be funny to try out but 42% of them would wind up asking you for legal help

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I alternate between ski lift sales rep for Doppelmayr, and rare earth mineral prospector. I did successfully crash a large corporate banquet in Seattle once posing as a wine merchant. After a lovely dinner, Kool and the Gang appeared on stage as the entertainment. Turns out, they have more songs than just Celebrate.