• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SNFO Primary (UMFO)

TAMR

is MIDNIGHT
pilot
None
Was looking through these threads and realized that there is limited info available regarding NFO training, and even less that refers to the new syllabus. Within the last several months, a transition was made from the "legacy" syllabus to the new Undergraduate Military Flight Officer (UMFO) syllabus. They are still in the transition phase, but every new primary class since July of 2013 is now on the new syllabus. The syllabus split primary into two phases, P1 and P2. Ideally, students who select land-based aviation will split off at the end of P1, and go to the multi-crew simulator before heading to the RAG. Currently, that simulator isn't completed, so all students will graduate P1 and continue to P2 before selecting their first pipeline.

The current selection pipeline is something like below. Remember, selection is based on the needs of the Navy, grades and then finally student's desires at the bottom.

End Of Primary (VT10)
- Carrier Based Aviation (EA18g, F18F, E2's)
- Land-Based (EP3, P3, E6) will go to the multi-crew sim, then off to the RAG for their wings.

End Of Intermediate (VT4)
- Jets (EA18g, F18F) selects continue to VT-86 for Advanced in the T45
- E2 selects will go to Norfolk to the RAG.

End Of Advanced (VT86)
-Students wing in VT86
-EA18G selects will go to NAS Whidbey
-F18F selects will go to NAS Lemoore or NAS Oceana.

Here's a rough timeline and an outline of the syllabus:

1. Check-in: After API, you'll report the next day or so to TRAWING 6 for ADMIN (sf86 security forms, gov. credit card signup etc). Primary classes up every two weeks on Mondays, so if you check in between classes, expect to stand a few wing watches. You'll be able to grab your initial Contact textbooks and start studying. I recommend you start studying EP's, limits, and the "big five" contact maneuvers as soon as possible. EP's and limits you will be responsible for through the rest of your training in the T-6. Once you class up, you'll basically switch from being attached directly to the wing, to joining VT-10. As of now, there is no "pool" or wait to class up for Primary unlike the SNA's.

2. Contacts: Contact stage introduces you to the systems of the T-6, as well as some basic airmanship. You will get 5 flights in contacts where you will be flying from the front seat. This stage is a blast for most.
The first few days in contacts is mostly admin. You will meet the Commodore of TW6, have a morning spinning (yes spinning) class with him and the rest of your class, and get the initial fitting for your flight gear. Contact ground school lasts 3 weeks, consisting of several exams, lectures and a bunch of CAI's (Basically self-study powerpoints). At the end of ground school, you will have several self-study sims to practice running checklists, comms etc, then you'll have 3 graded contact sims. Once completed with the sims, expect to have your "FAM0" session the following day, which is basically a gouge session from a LT, going over the basics of preflight, and how to prepare for your briefs. Expect to fly the next day. You will feel unprepared on your first and probably second flight; it's expected, just relax. These flights you will be in the front seat, and at the controls. You'll go and do bounces at fields from around the area (Bay Minette, Mobile Downtown, NPA), and also go do Aero, Spins etc up in the MOA. Prepare well for the briefs, know your EP's and Limits, and you can't go wrong. You will be flying the maneuvers, but as SNFO's we aren't graded on how well we fly them; just on knowing the procedure themselves. That being said, don't be the guy that MIF's out on landings at "UNABLE" just because you didn't want to control the airplane. Try your best. The SNA's get weeks of simulator events to learn this stuff, we get three sims; the instructors know that.

You'll have 4 flights and a checkride. You also get one night contact flight, which may be during the contact stage or during INAV's. This flight is probably one of the most rewarding flights you'll fly. Study the brief items, and you'll have a blast in the plane. The instructors don't expect much of you on this flight besides to sit back, relax, and enjoy it. The syllabus is as follows:

A) Sims: C2001, C2002, C2003
B) Preflight: C1001 (FAM0)
C) Flights: C4001, C4002, C4003, C4004, C4290 (Checkride), C4101 (Night Flight)

3. INAV (Instrument Nav): Like all other ground schools, IGS start every two weeks. There are 4 weeks of ground school (2 weeks of instrument procedures, 2 weeks of flight planning). There are a total of 4 exams. INAV's really require you to stay late, or to come home after ground school everyday and review what you went over in class. This 4 weeks is very packed and people easily get behind. Work with your class and study TOGETHER. The easiest way to piss off a sim instructor is to tell them when they ask that you studied alone. Throughout the 4 weeks, you'll practice flying approaches, arcing, holding etc in a computer INAV trainer. These aren't graded, and provide you a great opportunity to practice the same instrument procedures you'll use in the sims and later in the plane. This sim is rudimentary, but it definitely made it easier to understand the concepts. At the end of ground school for instruments, you'll go through a practice sim in the actual simulators for 9 graded sim events, then 5 flights plus a check ride. From here on you'll be flying from the back seat. These flights allow you to go fly out and in's to other airports around the area. They are a blast. Cross-countries which were previously non-existent have also started back up, and students have been able to fly to Chicago, Key West etc. Make sure to throw your name on the X request list when you get the opportunity. Remember to study EP's and limits, you'll be asked every brief, and usually every flight.

The syllabus is as follows:

A) Sims: I3001, I3002, I3003, I3004, I3005, I3006, I3007, I3008, I3009
B) Flights: I4001, I4002, I4003, I4004, I4005, I4190 (Checkride)

4. VNAV (Visual Nav): I haven't actually completed this stage yet, but basically VNAV builds upon INAV, but uses navigating off of TPC's and visual means instead of radios. These flights are low and fast. VNAV ground school starts every two weeks as well, and is only one week long. There are only 2 sims, and then 3 flights with a Checkride. There is only one test, but there is a lot of new material, and the week is PACKED.
The syllabus is as follows:

A) Sims: N3001, N3002
B) Flights: N4001, N4002, N4003, N4190 (Checkride)

At this point P1 is complete, and the P2 syllabus starts. Again, when the UMFO syllabus is fully integrated and the multi-crew sim is operational, students will select tailhook or land-based at the end of P1, and continue onto P2 or head to the RAG accordingly. As of now, everyone goes P2.

P2 is much shorter than P1, including only a few instrument sims, flights and then FORMS. You'll go back to the simulators the day after P1 grad and fly two instrument hops. These are much more complex than INAV flights, but thankfully use the same concepts. After this, you'll go do 4 more instrument hops which will be either out and ins or cross countries. The syllabus is as follows:

A) Sims: I3101, I3102
B) Flights: I4201, I4202, I4203, I4204.

After those hops, you'll go into FORM (Sections) ground school. Not sure how long this ground school is, but there is only one sim, and two flights. There are more FORM flights in intermediate, but I don't know any details regarding that syllabus yet. After this, SNFO primary is complete, and students will select either Carrier aviation or land-based. The form syllabus is as follows:

A) Sims: F3001
B) Flights: F4001, F4002

Lastly, as I was told by an IP, a Pilot's job is to: Aviate, Navigate and Communicate. NFO's mostly Navigate and Communicate. Since AVIATE takes the largest amount of brain stem power of the three (you'll find this out in contacts), as SNFO's we better be shit hot when it comes to Navigation and Comms. Accordingly, VT-10 hits instruments and Comms pretty hard; keep that in mind. EP's and limits are always game, and are one of the major reasons students get Ready Room Unsats. I'll add to this post as I gather more information. Below I've posted a picture of the syllabus guide for UMFO primary.

Attachments

• umfoa.jpg
    umfoa.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lastly, as I was told by an IP, a Pilot's job is to: Aviate, Navigate and Communicate. NFO's mostly Navigate and Communicate. Since AVIATE takes the largest amount of brain stem power of the three (you'll find this out in contacts), as SNFO's we better be shit hot when it comes to Navigation and Comms. Accordingly, VT-10 hits instruments and Comms pretty hard; keep that in mind. EP's and limits are always game, and are one of the major reasons students get Ready Room Unsats. I'll add to this post as I gather more information. Below I've posted a picture of the syllabus guide for UMFO primary.

I'd argue that TACAIR NFO's also AVIATE; we happen to do it as a co-pilot without controls by monitoring the instruments, calling out airspeed, altitudes, etc.

If you fail to AVIATE, you'll end up in the smoking hole a few seconds behind your pilot.

Did you learn an instrument scan while going through primary? Why do you think it was an important skill to learn? I'd bet that the IP that made that statement was not from a TACAIR community.

KilroyUSN

Prior EM1(SS) - LTJG - VP P-8 NFO COTAC
None
Great info!

P-2 doesn't seem to take that long to complete, after P-1, and if you end up going E-2 it seems you go to the same place as the land based guys... I wonder why they even have a P-1/P-2 break. Is the material you learn in P-2 completely useless for land based aircraft?

leo20307

Rhinos
None

Yeah, dude, instrument scan's pretty important and it's beaten into you in 86. You never know when you'll catch something that the guy up front may have missed.

Otherwise, good info! Sad to see the T-39 go; it's good training for tacair NFO's to have an instructor peering over your shoulder while you run the radar on a route or an intercept.

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
I'd argue that TACAIR NFO's also AVIATE; we happen to do it as a co-pilot without controls by monitoring the instruments, calling out airspeed, altitudes, etc.

If you fail to AVIATE, you'll end up in the smoking hole a few seconds behind your pilot.

Did you learn an instrument scan while going through primary? Why do you think it was an important skill to learn? I'd bet that the IP that made that statement was not from a TACAIR community.

Not to dogpile, but your IP gave you bad gouge. This NFO "aviates" a fair amount. It's a team sport and most (TACAIR at least) NFO's can and have prevented things from going pear shaped by "aviating." This becomes especially important as you add simultaneous mission subsets, and exponentially more so around the boat. Don't think that just because he's a strike lead, your pilot isn't capable of hitting your wingman at a four plane merge in an LFE. You're not just along for the ride.

Aquonox

Just rolling along
None
Great info!

P-2 doesn't seem to take that long to complete, after P-1, and if you end up going E-2 it seems you go to the same place as the land based guys... I wonder why they even have a P-1/P-2 break. Is the material you learn in P-2 completely useless for land based aircraft?

I feel like the extra instrument sims/flights in Primary 2 can be important no matter what aircraft you fly.

I would imagine that form flights are not very important for the land-based aircraft though. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the P-3C, EP-3E, or E-6B fly forms normally.

KilroyUSN

Prior EM1(SS) - LTJG - VP P-8 NFO COTAC
None
Makes sense.... I figured there was a smart reason, besides the logistics of having E-2 guys go to Advanced Mulit-Crew later at a later time, than the land based guys. Seems a little silly to call it Primary 1 and Primary 2 instead of Primary and Intermediate, though....

Renegade One

None
What a difference 42 years makes! Color me jealous… ;)
42 years ago:
VT-10 (flight syllabus):
December 1971: 5 flights in the mighty Convair T-29 (Google it…) for DR Nav all up and down the florida panhandle and the parts down south. Our biggest responsibility on exterior preflight of the A/C was to make sure the lens on the drift meter was clear. Yep…5 SNFOs could wipe that sucker CLEAN! Total flight time: 26.5 hours. Think of yourself as a B-17 Navigator trying to find the submarine pens in Kiel with no NAVAIDS and no RADAR…that's how I thought of it…and frankly enjoyed it.
January/February 1972: 5 flights in the AWESOME Grumman TF-9J "Cougar". I remember a "jet fam" hop, a couple of low-level visual NAV hops, and maybe some high-alt airways Nav/Comm hops. Total flight time: 6.1 hours. First time we got to wear our cool issued helmets…which we all taped to our personal tastes. Mine was blue/white 2" checkerboard on the visor housing only…reminiscent, I guess, of Korean War F-86 something or other.
My most memorable day in VT-10: First day in "Morse Code Class". I'm thinking…"OMG! Is this where it a all ends for me? This is IMPOSSIBLE!!!" 15 minutes to go until the end of the first class, and an instructor LT walks into the room and says: "CNO has just cancelled this training requirement. Class dismissed." I'm pretty sure the Instructor Cadre was nursing their beers at Mustin Beach O'Club that night muttering: "Shit…kids these days…they'll never know what it was like! Fucking Navy…"
On a sadder note, the big "fail point" was the written "Dead Reckoning Navigation" test. My best friend and roommate at the BOQ at the time bilged out after 3 tries. Sad day for me.

On to NATTC Glynco, GA:
March-May 1972: 33 flights in the North American T-39D "Sabreliner", outfitted with the obsolescent APQ-94 AI RADAR…same as in the F-8 aircraft in the day. Mostly AIC hops, but memories of some more low-level NAV routes, and an "award-winning" good-deal X-C to NAS Miramar with a couple of other student RIOs for airways NAV/COMMS training. My first entry to the WOXOF on a Friday afternoon…and my choice of F-4 training sites was cast in cement! Total flight time: 80.7
Historical Note: Late in my time at Glynco, the NFO Training effort was commissioned as VT-86. I remember standing in formation at the stand-up ceremony…never remember wearing the patch.

ON TO MIRAMAR for F-4 RAG Training!

Renegade One

None
42 years ago:
Another indelible memory of our time at Glynco is that we were there during the many MiG kills then taking place in Vietnam in the spring of 1972. Many days, we'd land after a hop with "Today's MiG Killers" chalked on the board in the Ready Room. I didn't know any of these guys, of course, but a lot of the RIOs involved in the spring shoot downs were either fairly recent grads of Glynco (like Willie Driscoll), or at least well-known to the instructor cadre as being old squadron-mates, etc. I do remember Cunningham and Driscoll being credited with their #2 kill…and that was a big deal, and then two days later, as we were flying in the off-shore OPAREA, the GCI site came up on all control freqs and announced "Ninety-Nine (whatever our call sign was), this is "XXX" (whatever the GCI call sign was…SLING SHOT?)…Cunningham and Driscoll just shot down numbers 3, 4 and 5!!!"

Talk about motivation while we were up in the air training to do that shit… :)

TAMR

is MIDNIGHT
pilot
None

I absolutely agree with your statement. A SNFO's "Aviate" isn't non-existant, it is just different. Our AVIATE is backing the pilot up, monitoring flight instruments etc. My real point with that statement was that the IP was really referring to the "stick and rudder" skills pilots must develop while learning the other things. As SNFO's here in training, we don't have to learn that skill, thus aside from our Aviate duties, we are expected to do the other two exceptionally well. But point well taken there is definitely an element of AVIATE in everything we do; regardless if you're the one at the controls.

TAMR

is MIDNIGHT
pilot
None
Great info!

My guess is that they were trying to be financially efficient and not have to teach FORMS to guys who will never use it. Not sure what all the E2 platform consists of for NFO's, but they apparently wanted them to have some of the same training that WSO's and EWO's get.

Aquonox

Just rolling along
None
Makes sense.... I figured there was a smart reason, besides the logistics of having E-2 guys go to Advanced Mulit-Crew later at a later time, than the land based guys. Seems a little silly to call it Primary 1 and Primary 2 instead of Primary and Intermediate, though....

The reason it isn't called Intermediate is because there actually is an Intermediate stage after Primary 2 for the jet guys. Then the jet guys go to Advanced.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Let me caveat this by saying that I have never in my career flown with a WSO or any sort of NFO. So there is that. Ok, that being said, if I were to have a WSO in my hog, it would really make me smile if he/she were really good on tactics, rocked the radar, worked the ATFLIR well, and took the load off on all of those VFA tasks that are quite demanding at times for a single seat jet. It is hard to quantify details on an unclass forum, but that is the big picture of my take on it. Yeah being a backup bitching betty is cool in about .0001% of the time, but to be honest, we aren't just flying into the ground in the single seat community any more than anyone else. That isn't your fight. You need to bring something to your squadron, and to your division that us single seat folks can't bring. That role exists without a doubt, it just isn't always accomplished. I have no doubt that a good WSO would make an -F much more lethal than any C or E, but you have to know what stuff your piloto doesn't need help with, and what he absolutely does need help with, and of course when he needs that. Can't have everyone looking at the burning stove while the fat kid is running our of the kitchen. I've flown with WSO's that I can tell are really shit hot, and they add a lot to the entire event. I think they have a very fundamental understanding of the places where they can enhance the mission. Those places aren't "comms" or "nav"......the single anchor folks learned that shit cold years before we ever get to fleet, just like you did. Or more specifically, in VFA, comms and nav have to be like breathing. Thinking you are going to be helpful because you are good at comms and nav is like saying that you are really good at living because you have the best foot placement when you walk.

Last edited: