• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Shaky 20/40

Yankee Uniform Tango
My vision has been 20/20 most of my life - it has unfortunately worsened over the past couple of years due to heavy computer usage and constant reading on my part. I went to an optometrist recently and I'm currently at 20/40 (the cut-off), although my left eye seems to be a bit worse.

The dilemma I'm facing now is whether I should apply for SNA (USMC), take my chances and potentially risk getting a NAMI-whammy down the road if my vision were to worsen more, or just playing it safe and getting PRK before the whole process. The optometrist I met with suggested I wait another year and get my eyes tested again then, to see if my eyesight is still changing (worsening) first.

One option I thought of would be going through MEPS first, and seeing if my vision is truly 20/40 (and not 20/50, let's say).

Any input would be appreciated.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
why not just send in a package? How old are you? If you have time on your side (unlike me, im 25) I guess you could afford to wait and see how your vision plays out...down the line worrying about getting NPQ from NAMI when you are like me, not even selected for the program yet..is like saying you do not want to drive your car because you're worried you might get killed in a wreck. I see your dilemma ( no pun intended) though. I'm sure one of the DOCS or someone who has PRK done would chime in and help you out as well.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
My vision has been 20/20 most of my life - it has unfortunately worsened over the past couple of years due to heavy computer usage and constant reading on my part. I went to an optometrist recently and I'm currently at 20/40 (the cut-off), although my left eye seems to be a bit worse.

The dilemma I'm facing now is whether I should apply for SNA (USMC), take my chances and potentially risk getting a NAMI-whammy down the road if my vision were to worsen more, or just playing it safe and getting PRK before the whole process. The optometrist I met with suggested I wait another year and get my eyes tested again then, to see if my eyesight is still changing (worsening) first.

One option I thought of would be going through MEPS first, and seeing if my vision is truly 20/40 (and not 20/50, let's say).

Any input would be appreciated.
Geez, I had the exact same problem. The pre-API physical is the one you would most likely get the whammy on. I did. I got PRK in the fleet and reapplied for pilot, and was lucky. I recommend PRK if you have time to recover. I was flying again after about 2 months. I think you should give yourself a year for the whole waiver process to make sure you are not stopped up due to the military's red tape.

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
Also take a look at your prescription. You can be NPQd even if your vision is 20/40 or better if your prescription is out of limits.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
why not just send in a package? How old are you? If you have time on your side (unlike me, im 25) I guess you could afford to wait and see how your vision plays out...down the line worrying about getting NPQ from NAMI when you are like me, not even selected for the program yet..is like saying you do not want to drive your car because you're worried you might get killed in a wreck. I see your dilemma ( no pun intended) though. I'm sure one of the DOCS or someone who has PRK done would chime in and help you out as well.

This is probably the most important question. Most peoples eyes continue to change until age 21. If you are younger than 21, I'd wait. Your eyes MUST BE STABLE (no changes in 1 year) before you get PRK, otherwise it may be for nothing.

I've counseled many a Midshipman and I know many that are now Pilots and NFOs. You must also understand the RISKS associated with PRK. If, for some reason, they screw your eyes up, then you may not be commissionable at all.

Follow the advice of your optometrist and wait.

-ea6bflyr ;)

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
ea6bflyr brings up a good point about age.

Assuming you are 21 and you are serious about flying, I would do it. I was also close to the cut-off, but the bottom line is that if your eyes degrade after you get accepted you'll get screwed, period.

There are risks with any surgery, but laser eye surgery has a high success rate. I got mine done and it was definitely worth it -- even if I don't end up getting accepted, at least I can see people across the room now.

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
Jackass said:
Question: If someone was to get NPQ for vision during API, could they get a 'hold' and pay for prk out of pocket and then resume training? Or is that impossible/never happens?

The problem with that is you're getting tax payer money to sit around and be med down without going through any training. When I got NPQd I didn't ask about getting PRK, so I don't know for sure, but my guess is that it won't happen. UNLESS you don't try to redes and get admin sep'd as an E5 while in OCS...pay to get the PRK as a civilian, then reapply and hope to get accepted again.

Also, they told us in A-pool that if you are med-down for any reason for more than 6 months you'll get re-designated, mostly for the same reason.

Yankee Uniform Tango
Thanks for the replies.

I'll be turning 25 this August, so in all likelihood my vision is stabilized (or so I hear). I'll be heading to MEPS two weeks from now;I'll see what the eye doc there says, and I'll make my decision afterward.

Quick question: the one thing I'm somewhat confused about is when the NAMI flight physical is taken exactly - is it right at the beginning of OCS, or right before API (or are those two different processes)? Let's say I was "cleared" with my 20/40 at NAMI right before OCS, would I have to go through there again pre-API?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Quick question: the one thing I'm somewhat confused about is when the NAMI flight physical is taken exactly - is it right at the beginning of OCS, or right before API (or are those two different processes)? Let's say I was "cleared" with my 20/40 at NAMI right before OCS, would I have to go through there again pre-API?

Everyone goes through NAMI prior to API regardless of commissioning source.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Yankee Uniform Tango
Everyone goes through NAMI prior to API regardless of commissioning source.

-ea6bflyr ;)

I apologize if my question isn't clear, but that's not what I mean. I thought people don't go to NAMI for a physical until after commissioning (and right before API), but then I've read about people going right before or during OCS. What I don't understand is if everyone has to go to NAMI twice or just once? :confused:

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I apologize if my question isn't clear, but that's not what I mean. I thought people don't go to NAMI for a physical until after commissioning (and right before API), but then I've read about people going right before or during OCS. What I don't understand is if everyone has to go to NAMI twice or just once? :confused:

I'll let someone from the current OCS speak up, but for those of us who went through OCS in Pcola, we just went to NAMI on day 2 of OCS and didn't have to go after we commissioned since our OCS physical was done through NAMI and recent.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'll let someone from the current OCS speak up, but for those of us who went through OCS in Pcola, we just went to NAMI on day 2 of OCS and didn't have to go after we commissioned since our OCS physical was done through NAMI and recent.

Since OCS is now at Newport, RI, you will not go to NAMI until right before API.

-ea6bflyr ;)

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Since OCS is now at Newport, RI, you will not go to NAMI until right before API.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Ya, I wasn't sure. I had vaguely remembered hearing that they had some sort of flight physical set up in RI that allowed them to skip or at least get a very abridged physical at NAMI.

Calling all RI OCS grads!

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
Don't rule out NFO if you get whammied. Hey, if you go FO in the Corps you're guaranteed jets!

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor

-ea6bflyr ;)

This seems to be accurate, although I got an upchit upon arriving at NASC and didn't have to go to NAMI. We got our refraction etc. measured in Newport, though...so if you are PQd at OCS you'll most likely be PQd in Pensacola unless too much goose poo gets in your eyes from your stay in RI.