• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Service Transfer

Ishboo

Hey all, its been forever since the last time i posted anything. Anyhow, so i am in the last stages of having my PRK squared away for the AF and looking to transfer over to the Navy to fly, however, when i spoke with my officer recruiter a few days ago, he mentioned that the Navy recruiters will no longer handle service transfers and this must be done through your own service...anyone ever heard of this before? I cant seem to get a hold of him anymore...sneeky guy...

exNavyOffRec

Hey all, its been forever since the last time i posted anything. Anyhow, so i am in the last stages of having my PRK squared away for the AF and looking to transfer over to the Navy to fly, however, when i spoke with my officer recruiter a few days ago, he mentioned that the Navy recruiters will no longer handle service transfers and this must be done through your own service...anyone ever heard of this before? I cant seem to get a hold of him anymore...sneeky guy...
If you are currently active duty commissioned AF looking to go AD commissioned Navy then that is correct, you would have to go to www.npc.navy.mil and look for the officer community manager for aviation and talk to them.

snake020

Contributor
I've done it, and it is a pain in the ass. The only way to do it is through the OCM as described in the post above, and sell them hard on why they should take you. Start by having high ASTB scores.

ProsNest1

Not quite a new member
None

Ishboo

Hey everyone, so just an update. It looks like i somehow got my functional manager to agree to release me from the Air Force to pursue flying. For anyone trying this, its a huge pain in the a$$, just fyi. I received a signed DD Form 368 from the Navy Officer Recruiter and am working to try and submit everything in the next few weeks. Does anyone know what all i need? My recruiter isn't exactly the most useful person to work with. For example, do i need to start my TS clearance since i only have a standard secret, also since i have taken the AFOQT for the Air Force, am i still required to take the ASTB?

ProsNest1

Not quite a new member
None
You will need to take the ASTB. Also, see my post above yours for a link to the MPM detailing your package submission.

RiseR 25

Yeah I can't say it's easy enough as it seems. Just getting an eye surgery approved within AFROTC is hard enough for Air Force Officer Accessions to pilot. Odds are your recruiter might not be sure of the process, so he's not too sure on how the service transfer would go in terms of your CO/Squadron CC. Are you an Officer or Enlisted?

Ishboo

Hey everyone,

Just an update on this. First off, NavyOffRec, i can’t thank you enough. I managed to get a hold of the correct department and have sent off my formal request. My USAF request for conditional release took about 3-4 months for a turn-around. The request had to be routed from my squadron CC, then FW/CC…then MAJCOM functional…then career field functional…then some office in DC, then somewhere else…then Narnia and eventually back to me.

For anyone else interested in this, look up MILSPERMAN 1300-083, has almost every bit of information you might need, but not to say it’s not a confusing process, this obviously only covers the Navy side of the house, not the releasing service.

Since I am already on active duty, I do not work through an officer recruiter (I am currently an O-2). Instead, from what I did, was you contact your detailer, then get your medical squared, then put your package together IAW 1300-083. No kidding, it’s going to be a paper package, you will need to physically mail it and it’s going to be huge…sts.

Currently, I am still awaiting a medical waiver from NAMI. Flight doc’s, physiologist and a few others all seem optimistic, but I’m still nervous as hell. The waiver request along with the rest of the medical was submitted to NAMI back in September and it’s still being reviewed. This portion can take a little while from what I hear. I’ve been politely pestering everyone, so hopefully I’ll hear something back soon…ugh.

Don’t expect this to be a fast transition either. I started to engage with my leadership in January of 2013 and submitted my request in March of 2013. I received official conditional release from the Air Force to pursue around October 2013 and submitted my request to PERS-803 in November 2013. The medical was started in June 2013 and is still being worked…

I hope this information helps anyone else out there who might be in a similar boat. This is a pain in the ass to say the least, but don’t give up. I’ll post more information as it filters down to me.

exNavyOffRec

I am glad to hear it is progressing I believe the info you have provided will be valuable to others, I hope the news continues to be positive in this process.