• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Selecting an aircraft

mightymau5

Hi all,

Long time listener, first time caller. I apologize if a similar question has already been asked but I wasn't able to find an answer after scouring this forum -- when/where/how in aviation training do you select your aircraft?

I think I might be in a bit of a unique dilemma where I really want to fly the EA-18 but really don't want to fly the other jets... I want to fly but would rather not be the one pulling the trigger/dropping the bombs, if given the choice (before I get the whole "you don't join the military not to fight" spiel, thanks, but I get it -- I am prior service). Would I just have to select "jets" and hope I get the Growler and not the Hornet? Or is there an option to, say, specify top choices like 1. Growler 2. Greyhound 3. Sea Hawk ?

Admittedly, it's still a little early for me to be thinking about this, but I'm looking forward to getting some input from you all. Thanks!

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Somebody who wants to fly Grizzlies? Weird.

You select (well, the Navy selects for you) between rotary, Jets, E-2/C-2, and Maritime after primary. The E/F/G selection is later.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
This is one of the most asked and asked and asked questions here, however being an easy Sunday I will list them in order:

1) The needs of the service
2) Your grades
3) Your preference

This applies first to primary and then again in advanced.

The odds of getting what you want will be given a numerical value by Pickle.... Paging Pickle....

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
This is one of the most asked and asked and asked questions here, however being an easy Sunday I will list them in order:

1) The needs of the service
2) Your grades
3) Your preference

This applies first to primary and then again in advanced.

The odds of getting what you want will be given a numerical value by Pickle.... Paging Pickle....

mightymau5

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I guess I just wanted to know if there was a way to be more specific with choosing an aircraft but from what you all are saying, it doesn't seem like it.

Yup, I know we all play our part and God bless those who are willing to do what I don't want to -- just personal preference, that's all.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Thanks for the quick replies guys. I guess I just wanted to know if there was a way to be more specific with choosing an aircraft but from what you all are saying, it doesn't seem like it.

Yup, I know we all play our part and God bless those who are willing to do what I don't want to -- just personal preference, that's all.
You have much, much, MUCH greater things to be worried about in this stage of the game. Take a deep, cleansing breath, hold it . . . . and exhale

Feel better?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Get selected and clear OCS first before worrying on what airframe to choose.

mightymau5

Thanks for the input, everyone.
Yup, some wishful thinking and premature worrying on my part but it's always good to know as much as you can about the job you're applying for.

Rockriver

pilot
The bad news...
Sometimes when it gets down to the "needs of the Navy" part of the equation, it may appear as though HQs has just had an OMG moment, didn't see a shortfall coming, and suddenly moves lots of bodies in a particular direction all out once. I'm am certain (hopeful?) that there are reasons behind these things, but as a flight student don't expect to get a memo as to why your flight grades and preference didn't seem to be considered during your assignment.

The good news...
Most people settle in nicely into their community and enjoy the airframe are flying, regardless of what they may have put on their dream sheets.

There are no losers in naval aviation. Everybody that wears a set of wings has accomplished something in aviation that most people just fantasize about. As has already been said, dream all you like but focus on what is in front of you.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
@mightymau5, also: I'm a bit more concerned about your disinclination to be a 'bomb-dropper' then your desire for a particular platform. There's no need to be bloodthirsty in this business...in fact I'm pretty sure any of us with wings would look askance at a guy with that atttiude in our ready room...but being willing to pull the trigger is part of the job. If that's not your cuppa, you might want to rethink your life goals.

And since you brought it up: the Griz does carry plenty of things that go 'boom'.

220px-EA-18G_Growler_VX-9_from_below_2008.jpg

MGoBrew11

pilot
@mightymau5, also: I'm a bit more concerned about your disinclination to be a 'bomb-dropper' then your desire for a particular platform. There's no need to be bloodthirsty in this business...in fact I'm pretty sure any of us with wings would look askance at a guy with that atttiude in our ready room...but being willing to pull the trigger is part of the job. If that's not your cuppa, you might want to rethink your life goals.

And since you brought it up: the Griz does carry plenty of things that go 'boom'.

220px-EA-18G_Growler_VX-9_from_below_2008.jpg

I wanted to fly Grizzlies for the same reason as the OP once upon a time (and because they were jets based out of Washington instead of Lemoore). Now I fly the MH60R at the best duty station in the Navy. Go figure.

At least the OP takes the decision to end lives seriously.

To the OP, at the risk of being repetitive, you have a lot of closer alligators to the boat. Eventually you will find your way to an aviation community that you embrace no matter what.

mightymau5

I wanted to fly Grizzlies for the same reason as the OP once upon a time (and because they were jets based out of Washington instead of Lemoore). Now I fly the MH60R at the best duty station in the Navy. Go figure.

At least the OP takes the decision to end lives seriously.

To the OP, at the risk of being repetitive, you have a lot of closer alligators to the boat. Eventually you will find your way to an aviation community that you embrace no matter what.

I appreciate the sincere response. You're right, I'm sure whatever airframe, as long as I get to fly I'd be happy.