• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Second Opinion

Lincoln Lucas

I failed the cycloplegic refraction test and was told that I was no longer able to be a pilot. I was wondering if PRK surgery (on my own dime) might help the situation or whether it is a lost cause. Anyone know where to find this information? My cycloplegic refraction was a +5.0 and I believe the standard was -1.5 to +3.0. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

BleedGreen

pilot
SNA applicants: pre-operative refractive error must not exceed -8.00 to + 3.00 (SE) and 3.00 diopters of cylinder, with no more than 3.50D of anisometropia. They must additionally have a post-operative cycloplegic refraction using cyclopentolate performed at a military installation. (From Pg 21 #3)

If the above is what you were talking about, it is not referring to cycloplegic refraction. A cycloplegic refraction is a more specific type of refraction and can not be used interchangeably with a patient's normal refractive measurements.

Z-Man

full deflection
Isn't cycloplegic refraction just a chart test under dilation? That was how it was explained to me.

By the way, I'm getting LASIK tomorrow morning, very exciting. One step closer hopefully. Thanks to everyone here. I believe BleedGreen helped me out a few times!

jbweldon04

Eye Guy
A cycloplegic refraction is a refraction after being dilated with cyclo eye drops. It relaxes the iris more to get a true refraction. Optometrists use this type of refraction for kiddos because their eyes accommodate so well.

As far as your pre-operative prescription, I'm not 100% on this, but I believe standards are relaxing more because LASIK and PRK are so successful. I do heed caution before any surgery that it might not be successful.

We have a guy who got refractive surgery done by a civilian who is -0.25 cylinder away from no longer being able to fly for the rest of his career. Commercial refractive surgery isn't anywhere near as successful as military medicine's.

Lincoln Lucas

Two questions. One, is this the latest waiver guide for eye surgery? And two, am I correct that Lasik is waiverable now to someone intending to apply for OCS? I just want to make sure so that I don't do anything wrong. Thanks

Attachments

• 12_Waiver_Guide_Ophthalmology_120629.pdf
    155.8 KB · Views: 7

BleedGreen

pilot
LASIK is waiverable for OCS applicants at this time. I wasn't able to open the file on my phone but NAMI's website will have the most up to date information regarding waiver requirements along with who is eligible