• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SEAL/EOD Officer Commitment and Communities

Is there an additional service commitment that either SEAL or EOD officers must incur upon completion of their respective training?

I see via the link below that the Air Force now incurs 6 years after completing their special warfare training. This seems a bit excessive. I assume special warfare training isn't anywhere near as expensive as flight training. Then again, I do not know. Hence, I am here.

http://www.24sow.af.mil/Portals/80/STOappAugust2016.pdf?ver=2016-06-21-100742-243

Secondly, do SEALS and EOD work together often, or are they in two totally different world?

Thanks.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
As I see wings at the top of the page...and no tridents...this may not be the best place to ask this question. I can, however, offer a little from my prior experience overseas.
1. The officer SEAL commitment is six years AFTER training is complete.
2. It is very expensive to train and maintain a special operator.
3. EOD guys work hand in hand with snake-eaters and with conventional troops. If the standard infantryman is the ordinary hero of WWII, then EOD guys are the ordinary heros of the "long war."
4. Special operations is like the priesthood...it is a specific calling to those guys.

exNavyOffRec

As I see wings at the top of the page...and no tridents...this may not be the best place to ask this question. I can, however, offer a little from my prior experience overseas.
1. The officer SEAL commitment is six years AFTER training is complete.
2. It is very expensive to train and maintain a special operator.
3. EOD guys work hand in hand with snake-eaters and with conventional troops. If the standard infantryman is the ordinary hero of WWII, then EOD guys are the ordinary heros of the "long war."
4. Special operations is like the priesthood...it is a specific calling to those guys.

It is only 4 years and from commissioning from the PA NRC posted, it may have been 6 in the past, however the MILPERS says 4 years from SQT so it is 4 years from a point, but that point is up in the air.

"Active duty selectees will incur a four year obligation from date of appointment. The obligation commences upon commissioning. The balance of service, sufficient to complete eight years of total obligated service may be served in a ready reserve status."

exNavyOffRec

Is there an additional service commitment that either SEAL or EOD officers must incur upon completion of their respective training?

I see via the link below that the Air Force now incurs 6 years after completing their special warfare training. This seems a bit excessive. I assume special warfare training isn't anywhere near as expensive as flight training. Then again, I do not know. Hence, I am here.

http://www.24sow.af.mil/Portals/80/STOappAugust2016.pdf?ver=2016-06-21-100742-243

Secondly, do SEALS and EOD work together often, or are they in two totally different world?

Thanks.

Last word was EOD is now only taking those who are currently enlisted EOD

It is only 4 years and from commissioning from the PA NRC posted, it may have been 6 in the past, however the MILPERS says 4 years from SQT so it is 4 years from a point, but that point is up in the air.

"Active duty selectees will incur a four year obligation from date of appointment. The obligation commences upon commissioning. The balance of service, sufficient to complete eight years of total obligated service may be served in a ready reserve status."

I assume between BUD/S and all the follow on schools, it's about 2.5 years or so before an officer actually gets to lead a SEAL platoon. Therefore, is it reasonable that most SEAL officers serve beyond the minimum 4 years from commissioning (5 from USNA)?

EOD results came out this year. All but one was active duty. The other was prior enlisted EOD who got out to get their degree.
No EOD straight from USNA/ROTC/OCS? Is that because that community values cultivating their own?

Is EOD a smaller community than SEALS?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No EOD straight from USNA/ROTC/OCS? Is that because that community values cultivating their own?

Is EOD a smaller community than SEALS?

Much smaller, especially since the community split off from the rest of SPECOPS (mine/dive/salvage).

EOD officers are expected to be blaster techs as well as leader-managers, and they don't need many new officers per year. Why should they take some kid off the street when they can promote a proven tech from within who doesn't need retraining?

Even when they were taking EOD off the street, it wasn't many. I recall my Academy class of 900 had about 5 SPECOPS slots.

Much smaller, especially since the community split off from the rest of SPECOPS (mine/dive/salvage).

EOD officers are expected to be blaster techs as well as leader-managers, and they don't need many new officers per year. Why should they take some kid off the street when they can promote a proven tech from within who doesn't need retraining?

Even when they were taking EOD off the street, it wasn't many. I recall my Academy class of 900 had about 5 SPECOPS slots.

Are such officers then selected to be LDOs or sent to OCS?