• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SCI adjudication duration?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I am wondering if anyone has a WAG on the typical duration for a new SCI adjudication. Weeks? Months? Years? I already have the TS SSBI.

I realize every clearance is different and every person is different, but looking for a ballpark. e.g. Anyone seen it take longer than 3 months? Longer than 6 months?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's taking forever - 10+ months is not uncommon, from what my security office has told me. Once USIS got fired from conducting investigations, OPM had to step up and develop their own investigators. This put everyone behind and it's just gone downhill from there.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Really? With completed TS SSBI that's current it established whether you are eligible for SCI. Then usually the regional SSO would have you fill out some forms for any changes since the last SSBI and SCI access could happen very quickly. Within a couple days depending on need and billet requirements. Guess things have changed as you said.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
It's taking forever - 10+ months is not uncommon, from what my security office has told me. Once USIS got fired from conducting investigations, OPM had to step up and develop their own investigators. This put everyone behind and it's just gone downhill from there.
Shoot. It's already been 2 months since the reinstatement was submitted. I don't want to wait another 8 months.

But - I am told they are not "investigating" anything. They are just adjudicating the SSBI that was already done. I did not have to re-fill out an SF-86 or anything. They're going solely off of the paperwork they already have on me.
Really? With completed TS SSBI that's current it established whether you are eligible for SCI. Then usually the regional SSO would have you fill out some forms for any changes since the last SSBI and SCI access could happen very quickly. Within a couple days depending on need and billet requirements. Guess things have changed as you said.
Yeah. I was told it would be 2 weeks, and it's been 2 months since then. Apparently there are some extra steps to move someone from JPAS to Scattered Castles. Who knows. It probably doesn't help that it's Army MI who's adjudicating me.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, well...some clearance-holders have misbehaved of late. All the Easy Buttons have been disconnected and removed.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Yes, well...some clearance-holders have misbehaved of late. All the Easy Buttons have been disconnected and removed.
Duly noted sir. I "like" the concept of fuller clearances, and thanks your prompt reply. It's not the answer I wanted to hear for my personal situation, of course, but I am a seasoned practitioner of the DoD virtue of paperwork patience.

azguy

None
Yeah. I was told it would be 2 weeks, and it's been 2 months since then. Apparently there are some extra steps to move someone from JPAS to Scattered Castles. Who knows. It probably doesn't help that it's Army MI who's adjudicating me.

That seems like a long time. This is a process that took days, maybe a week, before this whole OPM mess. With the investigation complete, your CO should be able to grant you an interim. Depending on where you are, what networks you need, an interim may not do much for you, but it's worth asking about.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
That seems like a long time. This is a process that took days, maybe a week, before this whole OPM mess. With the investigation complete, your CO should be able to grant you an interim. Depending on where you are, what networks you need, an interim may not do much for you, but it's worth asking about.
Unaware that an interim SCI was even a possibility. I'll ask tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.

By the way, I am not in the military and don't have a CO. DoD ctr. Does that change your answer?

azguy

None
Unaware that an interim SCI was even a possibility. I'll ask tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.

By the way, I am not in the military and don't have a CO. Fed ctr. Does that change your response?

Ah, a slimy contractor. Well good luck then :eek:

Seriously, many agencies don't even grant (or recognize) interims so that may well be the answer you get. For Navy commands, it's possible but has limitations and isn't the same as a full clnc. And seriously, as a contractor I'd be shocked if it were an option for you.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Ah, a slimy contractor. Well good luck then :eek:

Seriously, many agencies don't even grant (or recognize) interims so that may well be the answer you get. For Navy commands, it's possible but has limitations and isn't the same as a full clnc. And seriously, as a contractor I'd be shocked if it were an option for you.
That's what I figured. Gracias por el gouge. Oh well, at least I have a job in the meantime (same employer) going TDY to FL Panhandle to talk about air-to-ground "stuff"

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
CO's can usually only grant interim clearances up to the GENSER level.

azguy

None
CO's can usually only grant interim clearances up to the GENSER level.

Got it. Just relaying the gouge from my little corner of the world. I'm not a security guy so I really can't speak to the nitty gritty.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor

By the way, I am not in the military and don't have a CO. DoD ctr. Does that change your answer?

Depends on the terms of the contract from what I understand. Certain contracts allow for interim clearances to be issued and a contractor to start- others... Not so much.