• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Rule of Threes

GroundPounder

I know it's just an old wives' tale, but these things really do seem to happen in triplicate. Assuming the UH-60 in MD was one and this is two, y'all need to keep your head on a swivel out there.

Glad this one ended well, although I bet it's cold as fuck up there...

US fighter pilot approaching USS Carl Vinson ejects
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/04/21/us-fighter-pilot-approaching-uss-carl-vinson-ejects.html

Stupid question time, and not specific to this situation, but a general question.

During the time it takes to figure out what happened, assuming the pilot is physically OK, does he stay on flight status with his squadron? It would seem to me that if they were confident it was the fetzer value had not been properly lubricated in 3-1 oil and the gauze pads had not been applied, and the pilot reacted properly that everyone would want to get him back in the saddle as soon as possible.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Depends on the mishap but usually they're off flight status for a bit until everything clears or at least it's becoming clear what did (or didn't) happen. While at face value it may seem like it wasn't the pilots fault, you never know until you start digging around.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
IIRC, FNAEBs are mandatory for a Class "A," but CO can waive it if the mishap was obviously unavoidable. Key part is how much investigation is needed to prove it was not avoidable.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
IIRC, FNAEBs are mandatory for a Class "A," but CO can waive it if the mishap was obviously unavoidable. Key part is how much investigation is needed to prove it was not avoidable.

Too lazy to look it up, but I thought the 3-star had to waive it (NAVAIR did it for my crew).

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Too lazy to look it up, but I thought the 3-star had to waive it (NAVAIR did it for my crew).
Got me; that penguin long ago left the iceberg to make room for techie stuff, and I'm also too lazy to look it up.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Thought it was class A and B. I could be misremembering the details, but I think mine (night bird ingestion in a Viper) was originally expected to be a class B, and the Admiral had to get on the phone to get them to waive the FNAEB, which happened the very next morning. Most mishaps however are not that cut and dry.

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot
Thought it was class A and B. I could be misremembering the details, but I think mine (night bird ingestion in a Viper) was originally expected to be a class B, and the Admiral had to get on the phone to get them to waive the FNAEB, which happened the very next morning. Most mishaps however are not that cut and dry.

I believe it is Class A and B as well. Disclaimer: not a safety dude, just a man who had a mishap.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Happy to hear the pilot made it out safely.

On an unrelated note, Fox News needs to learn the difference between Power Projection and Forward Presence.