• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Retirement decision before or after OCS?

JoeLight

Hi all, as everyone's aware the military is changing the retirement system. Anyone "joining" before December 31, 2017 can choose between the old or new option.

My questions is: Do we choose the retirement system and lock it in before / on the first day at OCS or is this done on the day of commissioning?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hi all, as everyone's aware the military is changing the retirement system. Anyone "joining" before December 31, 2017 can choose between the old or new option.

My questions is: Do we choose the retirement system and lock it in before / on the first day at OCS or is this done on the day of commissioning?

Ughhhh ask your recruiter. If he or she doesn't know have them search because more than likely will be asked again and again.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
It's solely a personal decision, but I've seen many a servicemember wringe their hands and pontificate about the pros and cons of both systems. I think the consensus was, based on your contributions, if you're a new accession, then contributing aggressively and using the new system is worth it. If you're already in, then the old system is probably worth it more. I definitely can be wrong and take that with a huge chunk of pink Himalayan salt. I defer to the nerds with the complicated XLS spreadsheets.

JoeLight

Sorry Rufio NRD didn't assign me one. I did however look it up in the 2017 NDAA here: https://www.congress.gov/congressional-report/114th-congress/house-report/840/1

To anyone that has the same question, take the following with a grain of (pink Himalayan?) salt cause I'm still unsure:

The wording is really confusing, but it looks like you will be "grandfathered" into the old system if your "Date of Initial Entry into Military Service" (DIEMS) is before 31-Dec-2017.

It looks like the DIEMS for Service Academy, ROTC, DEP starts on the date you sign the academic contract. I wasn't able to find any mention of OCS particularly. But, I would think the DIEMS for OCS cadets / midn start when you set foot at OCS.

If anyone is interested and has access to a recruiter / ROTC commander, could you please ask and report back. Thanks!

JoeLight

It's solely a personal decision, but I've seen many a servicemember wringe their hands and pontificate about the pros and cons of both systems. I think the consensus was, based on your contributions, if you're a new accession, then contributing aggressively and using the new system is worth it. If you're already in, then the old system is probably worth it more. I definitely can be wrong and take that with a huge chunk of pink Himalayan salt. I defer to the nerds with the complicated XLS spreadsheets.

There was another thread where they voted on this: https://www.airwarriors.com/communi...d-vs-new-retirement-system.43619/#post-832832

There were only 35 votes, but looks like the majority say voted old. Where are those finance majors when you need them lol

Pags

N/A
pilot
If it's an option taking the old retirement system is a gamble. You have no way of knowing if you'll make it to 20 either due to a personal decision or a decision being made for you. The new system will at least give you something if you decide to leave after you let obligation is up.

Pags

N/A
pilot
If it's an option taking the old retirement system is a gamble. You have no way of knowing if you'll make it to 20 either due to a personal decision or a decision being made for you. The new system will at least give you something if you decide to leave after you let obligation is up.
Last sentence should read "...after your initial..."

JoeLight

Thank you for your advise, that's a loaded topic for sure. Perhaps for another thread lol

Flight

Thank you, I'm definitely interested in this, I'll try to make up a spreadsheet. Perhaps a re-vote would be helpful. I'd imagine a lot more people are up to date on this topic now than in 2015.