• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Reserve Officer to Active Duty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackal_dude

Just wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to go OIS for NR and once ready, go active duty in the regular Navy?

Do you have to stay reserve for 4 years? (no prior service)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You absolutely can go on active duty after obtaining a direct commission in the Reserves and completing OIS. You would also have to complete all your basic instruction for the designator you are commissioned in. That is, if an Intel Officer, complete the training for NR intel officers. Most NR training for dircoms is over a couple two week active duty for training periods (AT). Since most NR billets are only funded for one two week AT per year, the reality is that it could take a year or two to get your basic quals before you are elegible for voluntary recall. There are sometimes ways around that like using money from another "pot" of funding. There is no minimum service obligation before recall though. You just have to be qualified. Usually you look for a posted recall for a year to three. Technically, once that duty is over you are expected to be discharged to the Slected Reserve (former status as a weekend warrior). It is not unusual though to be able to stay on active duty indefinitely from that point on if you have done a good job. I now a couple guys that have done that.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
BTW, check out the voluntary recall post in this forum.

usaf

WINK,
just got a call from a navy reserve recruiter from Las Vegas, where I'm stationed at with the U.S. Air Force. Anyway, he says that I can go direct commission Intel in either active ot reserve side with as long as time as I have. Please confirm if you could please. Here is some info:
I am presently 34 years old with two years left on my Air Force Contract. I served 10 years in the Navy previously active duty. By the time my contract is up in the Air Force, I'll have 14 total years active duty and about 36 years old.

I have a BA in Govt, a Masters in Public Administration, and finishing up my second Masters in Comp Info Systems by the end of the year.

The naval reserve recruiter says that even though I'm over the 35 age limit and will have 14 years of active duty under my belt, I can transfer to the navy under direct commission Intel. He said that they subtract the number of years of active service from my age and that's what they use to qualify me. Is this correct? The Air Force says 34, by board time is limit and they don't subtract years of prior service. Just wondering what your take is on this because I'd hate to get out after 14 years and be able to get back in to retire after 20 active years. Can you confirm WINK. Appreciate your time and knowledge in this area. Thanks. Feel free to email me at usaf88@military.com

Rudy

GSKiker

SNA On my Way to P'cola
I am leaving active duty tommorow. I have been talking to the reserve recruiter. Can anyone tell me how long and where is intel school for reserve intel officers?

jsecurda

As far as I know, you can NOT just go active duty. That's the short answer, what follows is a very long story that I will try to keep down to the basic facts.
As a DCO, you are commissioned a reserve officer in the USNR with a drilling obligation as a selected reservist. This means one weekend a month, two weeks a year. You can apply for active duty orders subsequent to your initial training being done. However, you are still a SELRES officer on active duty. Orders come in a variety of flavors, <90 days, >90 && <180, or >180 days. >180 are rare, and tough to come by.
There is also the possibility of being mobilized as a Title 10 recall, or a Presidential Selected Reserve Callup. In the end though, when the orders end, you go back to one weekend/two weeks.
More than likely this all makes no sense to someone who is not currently SELRES, but a RESERVE RECRUITER (notice I did not say active duty recruiter; they are different) can clear up your questions.
Also, check out http://kellybeamsley.com/military this site is made by a DCO Intel type and he keeps up with the latest changes to the program.

I don't want to discourage you, but I also don't want you to get into something that you won't be happy with in the end.

As to the age waiver question, yes, age waivers are fairly common, it seems especially in INTEL. Best thing to do is submit a package and find out.

Length of service school varies from community to community but I'm almost sure that they all fit into one or two 2 week period. In other words, it may take you two years, and two 2 week periods, but you will get the same training as a new Ensign who is active duty.

Hope that helps!
R/
CTT2

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
cryppie is mostly correct. If you take a recall and do absolutely nothing then you will be released from active duty at the end of your orders and go back to being a weekend warrior. If you want to stay on active duty you can make that request and you become an active duty USNR officer in the career path and orders rotation for your designator like any other officer. When eligible you can apply for augmentation to the USN. This absolutely does happen as I know guys that have done it. There is also a provision for applying for active duty directly from a selres billet without being on a recall at the time. That is harder to get. Probably impossible these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.