• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Recruiter won't submit my packet for SWO...

ingodshands

Hello All,

Just wanted to vent a little bit. I've been trying to become a Naval Officer for awhile and I feel like I ran into every roadblock I can imagine. It has always been my dream to become an Officer in the Navy and I never took "No" for an answer. I did all I could to have my packet sent to the SWO board but my officer recruiter said that I didn't qualify for unrestricted line because of my eyesight. I'm just kind of shock that because of my vision, I won't be able to submit my packet. Mind you, my eyesight isn't even Bad! I wear glasses and sent in my prescription to my recruiter. I'm quite not sure what to do at this point and wasn't really expecting any replies.My recruiter seemed like he didn't even try and believe me I was bugging the hell out of him to try to get my packet to the Feb now March SWO board. I'm turning 28 this week and looks like the ship has finally sailed since max age is coming up fast. Oh well, Just wanted to vent a little....

Thank you

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hello All,

Just wanted to vent a little bit. I've been trying to become a Naval Officer for awhile and I feel like I ran into every roadblock I can imagine. It has always been my dream to become an Officer in the Navy and I never took "No" for an answer. I did all I could to have my packet sent to the SWO board but my officer recruiter said that I didn't qualify for unrestricted line because of my eyesight. I'm just kind of shock that because of my vision, I won't be able to submit my packet. Mind you, my eyesight isn't even Bad! I wear glasses and sent in my prescription to my recruiter. I'm quite not sure what to do at this point and wasn't really expecting any replies.My recruiter seemed like he didn't even try and believe me I was bugging the hell out of him to try to get my packet to the Feb now March SWO board. I'm turning 28 this week and looks like the ship has finally sailed since max age is coming up fast. Oh well, Just wanted to vent a little....

Thank you

Just curious, what is your vision? Do you have any other eyesight/eye issues other than vision?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Just curious, what is your vision? Do you have any other eyesight/eye issues other than vision?

Beat me to the punch.

For the OP, @ingodshands , is your vision correctable to 20/20? Did you pass the color vision test? My guess is the former, and if that's the case you're not medically qualified for URL jobs (such as SWO). As for the prescription/letter/documentation, N3M won't review or approve documentation from civilian eye doctors, only MEPS or a military clinic.

It's not as if your recruiter is holding/preventing your application. He/she simply cannot submit one until you have an approved N3M letter clearing you otherwise.

ingodshands

Beat me to the punch.

For the OP, @ingodshands , is your vision correctable to 20/20? Did you pass the color vision test? My guess is the former, and if that's the case you're not medically qualified for URL jobs (such as SWO). As for the prescription/letter/documentation, N3M won't review or approve documentation from civilian eye doctors, only MEPS or a military clinic.

It's not as if your recruiter is holding/preventing your application. He/she simply cannot submit one until you have an approved N3M letter clearing you otherwise.

Thanks for the info Rufio. Maybe I'm just not understanding the process. When I went to MEPs I thought everything was good to go. Is there anything that can be done on my part. Would I have to go to MEPs again providing my prescription or is that it?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Thanks for the info Rufio. Maybe I'm just not understanding the process. When I went to MEPs I thought everything was good to go. Is there anything that can be done on my part. Would I have to go to MEPs again providing my prescription or is that it?

Just because MEPS passes you doesn't mean you're in the clear with the Navy. The Navy has different standards for commissioning and review the medical documents from MEPS to make that determination. There's been times where MEPS said yes, but N3M said no. Of course, I have seen the opposite happen where MEPS says no but N3M says yes (whether it's a waiver or whatnot).

As for the eyes, you may be able (keyword: may be) request to get a new eye exam at MEPS, but if your vision remains uncorrectable to 20/20 it's gonna be a no-go for SWO.

Last word: The title of this thread should be "My recruiter CAN'T submit..." not "My recruiter WON'T submit..."

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

I would also ask your recruiter specifically what about your eyesight was bad, color deficiency might be a bit harder to overcome than having vision that is showing only correctable to 20/25

tbrenn05

I would also ask your recruiter specifically what about your eyesight was bad, color deficiency might be a bit harder to overcome than having vision that is showing only correctable to 20/25
This is somewhat of a tangent to this reply, I asked my recruiter and they seemed to think it wasn't too big of a deal. But is there any waiver for vision correctable to 20/25 if everything else is ok? I know for aviation it isn't, but what about SWO? The reason I ask is because at MEPS I was 20/20 in everything except right eye near sight I was "20/25 nc" on the paper. I still somehow received my PQ letter and a Pro-Rec Y already but I would hate to go to OCS and find out that I wasn't even qualified for a URL position. I've never had any issue with my eyes and have gotten retested by a doctor and they said I'm 20/20 near and far in both eyes and have nothing that would even need correction, so I am unsure if it could be an issue with the machine that day or something besides my vision? I most likely am just paranoid or "nuking it" as I've read around the site, but I was just looking for clarification from the ORs on here. Thanks for all of your help.

FormerRecruitingGuru

This is somewhat of a tangent to this reply, I asked my recruiter and they seemed to think it wasn't too big of a deal. But is there any waiver for vision correctable to 20/25 if everything else is ok? I know for aviation it isn't, but what about SWO? The reason I ask is because at MEPS I was 20/20 in everything except right eye near sight I was "20/25 nc" on the paper. I still somehow received my PQ letter and a Pro-Rec Y already but I would hate to go to OCS and find out that I wasn't even qualified for a URL position. I've never had any issue with my eyes and have gotten retested by a doctor and they said I'm 20/20 near and far in both eyes and have nothing that would even need correction, so I am unsure if it could be an issue with the machine that day or something besides my vision? I most likely am just paranoid or "nuking it" as I've read around the site, but I was just looking for clarification from the ORs on here. Thanks for all of your help.

Talking with N3M several weeks back, I do think they will grant waivers if your vision isn't too far off from 20/20 corrected.

tbrenn05

Talking with N3M several weeks back, I do think they will grant waivers if your vision isn't too far off from 20/20 corrected.
Thank you. I was planning on taking the chances anyways as I'm fairly certain I was 20/20, but this gives me more confidence. I appreciate the response as always.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Thank you. I was planning on taking the chances anyways as I'm fairly certain I was 20/20, but this gives me more confidence. I appreciate the response as always.

When you get to OCS, make sure you hydrate. You'll get your flight physical that first week, and you'll likely be tired, stressed, and dehydrated. You'd be surprised how much your vision can change just based on how well you are hydrated (the same goes for your performance on the IST as well). So especially the first two weeks, make sure you're drinking enough water that you're pissing every 30-45 mins and that it's running mostly clear.

GlassBanger

IntelO
Contributor
When you get to OCS, make sure you hydrate. You'll get your flight physical that first week, and you'll likely be tired, stressed, and dehydrated. You'd be surprised how much your vision can change just based on how well you are hydrated (the same goes for your performance on the IST as well). So especially the first two weeks, make sure you're drinking enough water that you're pissing every 30-45 mins and that it's running mostly clear.

Not hijacking OP's thread or anything, but this presents me the perfect opportunity to ask a question I've had for a while. I'm a freaking crazy person when it comes to hydrating; I drink about 1.5/2 gallons a day on average, and I piss so often it's ridiculous as a result. Will the DI's not get irritated and smoke you extra if you're constantly needing to ask to use the head? I'd read somewhere that head calls can't be refused, but if they're often enough, will they mistakenly assume you're abusing the privilege?

tbrenn05

Thanks a lot. That is part of my plan and I've gotten a multi vitamin for eye health in the meantime. Is there any reason why I could still get a PQ letter with that on my file? Congrats on your recent commission, by the way.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Not hijacking OP's thread or anything, but this presents me the perfect opportunity to ask a question I've had for a while. I'm a freaking crazy person when it comes to hydrating; I drink about 1.5/2 gallons a day on average, and I piss so often it's ridiculous as a result. Will the DI's not get irritated and smoke you extra if you're constantly needing to ask to use the head? I'd read somewhere that head calls can't be refused, but if they're often enough, will they mistakenly assume you're abusing the privilege?

There are certainly better and worse times to do it (i.e. if you can hold it while the CO is speaking or during the middle of drill that would certainly be better) but they are pretty understanding. And if you have to go, don't be afraid to ask for a head call because I guarantee you, especially during that first week, at least several other people need to go too.

Try not to sweat the small stuff like that though, there will be much bigger fish to fry.

GlassBanger

IntelO
Contributor
There are certainly better and worse times to do it (i.e. if you can hold it while the CO is speaking or during the middle of drill that would certainly be better) but they are pretty understanding. And if you have to go, don't be afraid to ask for a head call because I guarantee you, especially during that first week, at least several other people need to go too.

Try not to sweat the small stuff like that though, there will be much bigger fish to fry.

I feel like that should go without saying. But then again...

Thank you!