• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Recently Acquired a Section of Arresting Wire

TheYeti

I recently got a small section of arresting wire (about a foot). Does anyone else have experience keeping it as a souvenir, and perhaps how to treat the metal to prevent rust? Or is it pretty much good to just leave on a shelf for years?

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I recently got a small section of arresting wire (about a foot). Does anyone else have experience keeping it as a souvenir, and perhaps how to treat the metal to prevent rust? Or is it pretty much good to just leave on a shelf for years?

I have a section about the same size. I haven’t been able to find a good use for it (too big/heavy for a tap handle), but it’s been fine without any cleaning or treatment.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
You could probably get it mounted on a nice finished wood board or something similar for your I Love Me wall. That’s what I’d do.

Python

pilot
Contributor
Agree with @SynixMan Mounting it to a nice frame, maybe engraved with some data about it, is common. There are places that do it. If you’re in Florida you can PM me for a good place that does it.

AIRMMCPORET

Plan “A” Retired
When you got it were the ends secured so it doesn’t come unraveled?

If not you’re going to have to get the ends welded or safety wireed to tie them so they don’t come unraveled.

I would just spray it down really good with WD-40 for a couple days to displace any water if it was wet in the core, and then stand it on and after wiping it down so it drains out more.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
If you're worried about corrosion enough that you want to spray it with something, use Corrosion X, ACF 50, or LPS 3. All three of those products "creep" after you spray them on metal. You should be able to find at least one of them at a good hardware store or a boat shop. All three are high quality and do basically the same thing. (WD-40 is pretty good for what you want to do but these three products are great.) After you spray the thing, wipe it down with a clean, dry cloth or paper towel and then let it sit for a few days for the rest of the residue. That'll probably over protect it for life...

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Where does one acquire a piece of a wire? Inquiring minds... PNA or PM if necessary.

Cheers!

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I got one over a year ago, and it's been sitting on my kegerator since then. Probably has had beer splashed on it more than once, but it still looks like the day I got it. No safety wire, WD-40, or welding involved.

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
I got a piece a few years ago. Recommend finding someone who does sand blasting. Mine went from oily and gross to a dull silver and clean. Only cost $20 to get done.

TheYeti

Thanks for the replies I'll try some of those corrosion sprays, and probably get it sand blasted when I find someone. Yeah apparently they aren’t that hard to get. My buddy on cq det just wandered around the ship at night looking for the room where those guys worked. He made a trade of boat patches for wires. Patches are like crack to them as I’m sure most of you know.