• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions about preference of base location

Brooksssiiieee

Hey guys, so once you're commissioned and finish up in Rhode Island are you then sent to your new "base/home" immediately? If you're in the top percentage of your class, do you have more say-so in where you'd like to be located? Or, do I have this all wrong and does it just depend on what ship you become attatched to?

Larick

None
Contributor
It all depends on what your orders say. Ship selection is done mostly by merit. That's usually how it goes when selecting home ports, but it all depends on how the SWOs in your class want to deal with it.

Last edited:

swerdna

None
Contributor
Hey guys, so once you're commissioned and finish up in Rhode Island are you then sent to your new "base/home" immediately? If you're in the top percentage of your class, do you have more say-so in where you'd like to be located? Or, do I have this all wrong and does it just depend on what ship you become attatched to?

You should have time off in between Newport and arriving to your ship.

I'm not familiar with the new SWOS track, but you will have to report there for training, in addition to any additional schools you might have. Basically, you'll get some time between Newport and the ship.

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
I'm a pilot not a swo but when I was at OCS (2 years ago) at about the halfway point through OCS all the SWO selects would get together with a list of available ships and then they would work among themselves (backstab haha) to get the ship/location they wanted so that they at least had a verbal but nothing is set in stone until you get orders. I don't know if that has changed but that's what was done while I was there. Enjoy OCS!

Brooksssiiieee

I'm a pilot not a swo but when I was at OCS (2 years ago) at about the halfway point through OCS all the SWO selects would get together with a list of available ships and then they would work among themselves (backstab haha) to get the ship/location they wanted so that they at least had a verbal but nothing is set in stone until you get orders. I don't know if that has changed but that's what was done while I was there. Enjoy OCS!
Oh boy... The dog eat dog world starts early I guess. Thank you very much, I'm looking forward to January 3rd!

Bluecore

That's correct. You get in to a room together around week 6 with a list of ships and where they are home ported and you're supposed to figure it out amongst yourselves. When we had a conflict of interest and people wouldn't budge it was understood that we would use our class averages up to that point to settle disputes, and once people got a feel for how serious others were about how badly they wanted to go where ever, we got it done. That's how class team would do it if they didn't allow us to do it ourselves, they would just use overall class average and allow people to pick.