• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question for Marine Aviation folks

AVDAD

Lets say you are doing well at USNA and your first service selection is Marine Aviation and lo and behold you are granted your wish. You head off to TBS, can they, the Marines, decide that you are needed some where else and not honor the selection process at USNA?

Thanks,

AvDad

nocal80

Harriers
pilot
tommygirl28 said:
Apparently it can happen. I asked my hubby and he said it happened to one of his '05 classmates. I'm not sure if there was something else that factored in, but he lost his pilot slot.

I can almost guarantee something else was factored in, such as NPQ. There is always a demand for pilots/nfo's, which is why they started to frown upon people dropping their air slots while at tbs. There would be no reason for the USMC to take away an aviation slot already assigned unless there was something else involved.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
tommygirl28 said:
Apparently it can happen. I asked my hubby and he said it happened to one of his '05 classmates. I'm not sure if there was something else that factored in, but he lost his pilot slot.

Anyone with an air contract can be NPQed at any time, or can attrite somewhere in the pipeline, or for that matter DOR...

It isn't something that the Marine Corps just up and says, oh hey we need a body to do this so you lose your contract...

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
I might be wrong...but I'm pretty sure the majority of Marine Officers are pilots. FWIW.

Where did you get that opinion from?

Just in my experience... OCS - about 20% flight contracts in my company, TBS - about 40% and that was Alpha, one of the few really Aviation heavy Companies, there are alot of Companies with MUCH less...

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
Yeah most Marine officers are NOT AIR... I can guarantee you that... 30-40% sounds like a much more reasonable figure. If you looked at the active fleet, and not strictly TBS breakdowns and what not, you would probably encounter a somewhat smaller figure.

FlyMikeFly

Happiness is Vectored Thrust
pilot
Contributor
I think he may be getting USAF and USMC confused. Most Marine Officers are NOT pilots, that just doesn't make sense.

Junior

pilot
According to the 2005 Concepts and Programs publication (published by HQMC) there were a total of 5,146 officers in the Pilot/NFO MOS(75XX). That is more than any other single MOS. The total number of officers was 18,839.

Where did you get that opinion from?

Just in my experience... OCS - about 20% flight contracts in my company, TBS - about 40% and that was Alpha, one of the few really Aviation heavy Companies, there are alot of Companies with MUCH less...

Ok, there was a graph I saw on a OSO's web site that had a huge chunk of Aviators grouped together...more than any other MOS. I'll find and post it once I can find that url again. I maybe wrong in stating the majority of Marine officers are pilots; rather its probably more like Aviation is the biggest MOS...

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
I maybe wrong in stating the majority of Marine officers are pilots; rather its probably more like Aviation is the biggest MOS...

Technically NA and NFO are seperate MOSs under the same catagory...sure if you group those two together you probably get more than any other single MOS...seperate might be another story but I would have to see figures...

Also Aviation could also include AMOs, Aviation Supply, and so forth...basically just about any MOS under the Wing could probably be considered "Aviation", though obviously when you get an Aviation Contract it is ONLY for either SNA or SNFO

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
According to the 2005 Concepts and Programs publication (published by HQMC) there were a total of 5,146 officers in the Pilot/NFO MOS(75XX). That is more than any other single MOS. The total number of officers was 18,839.

Do you have a link to this?

Crowbar

None
Just so there's no confusion about the term MOS:

The Marine Corps Occupational System uses a four-digit number code constructed on the concept that occupations with similar skill and knowledge requirements are grouped into functional areas, known as occupational fields (OccFlds), and jobs, known as Military Occupational Specialties (MOSs).

OccFlds are identified by the first two digits of the four-digit code and a descriptive title. The OccFld is a grouping of related MOSs.

The MOS is a four-digit code consisting of the OccFld code completed by two additional digits. It describes a group of related duties and job performance tasks that extend over one or more grades.