• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about redesignating

mountainman

Hi there, I've got a question for some of you guys who might be in the know about the current redesignation process for attrites from other communities. I attrited from the SPECWAR program recently and have been given the option to redesignate or simply get out. I commissioned through OCS about a year ago. I was told by the guy at student control that as far as redesignating goes, my options are very limited and that redesignating to aviator is not an option. I imagine that this is true given the competitive nature of aviation slots but I wanted to see if anyone out there could verify this for me. The past year has been one hell of a kick in the ass but I've never had the opportunity to work with such awesome people and I'd like to see if there's room in the aviation community for me to continue this experience.

UMichfly

pilot
None
I am gonna call bullshit on this one. I have a buddy who made it a decent way through BUD/S before he got hurt and rang the bell as a result. He redesignated is now a few months from winging here in Meridian. Granted, he's a ROTC dude so there may have been more incentive to keep him (i.e. more money spent on him) but I can't imagine that difference alone would stop you. Worst thing you can do is try.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
It's a numbers game. If aviation has enough then they won't need you. Likewise with other communities. Best of luck.

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
If the Navy is still short on FOs and you want to be in the air, give that a shot. It's not stick time, sure, but it's in-the-air time.

I concur with spyguy, better get a firm 'no' from highers-up before you give up. It's not a no you can count on until its in writing and they're showing you the door.

mountainman

I appreciate the replies guys. I'm going to give it a shot for sure. I'll post on here to let you know how it goes in case anyone around here is in a similar situation.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
It's definitely timing based (i.e. how the manning in any community is at any particular time) but I think it's definately possible. Good luck