• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Qualifications for PRK/Lasik

Vince

Greetings all, Im currently a freshman in college and I want to become a naval aviator(pilot) in the Marine Corps. I have a pretty good understanding of PLC/OCC/OCS, etc...... Im not exactly sure of what my distance visual acuity is uncorrected. But, the diopters for my eyes on my contacts box are -9.0 and -10.0. I heard that I could get PRK surgery from a civilian doctor which could meet the Naval medical standards. Would I even be qualified to get PRK surgery from a civilian doctor? Am I even qualified for surgery with my diopters? I spoke to an NFO in the Navy who visited my school and he claimed that prk surgery(no matter how crappy your vision is) is waiverable. Im still very uncertain and I need as much help as possible. I'd appreciate any answers. Even, if this means that I gotta let to of my dream.

Beefalo

Pre-operative refractive error measured under cycloplegia must not exceed - 8.00 to + 3.00 (SE) and 3.00 diopters of cylinder.

That sucks. Then again alot of things are waiverable. Anybody have any luck wiht PRK and being greater then -8.00 myopia? Reason I ask is because my civilian doctor(for contact lenses) measured me at -7.50 but an HM2 measured me at a -8.50. I am more apt to think an actual optometrist would be right then a corpsman.

nugget61

pilot
Pre-operative refractive error measured under cycloplegia must not exceed - 8.00 to + 3.00 (SE) and 3.00 diopters of cylinder.

That sucks. Then again alot of things are waiverable. Anybody have any luck wiht PRK and being greater then -8.00 myopia? Reason I ask is because my civilian doctor(for contact lenses) measured me at -7.50 but an HM2 measured me at a -8.50. I am more apt to think an actual optometrist would be right then a corpsman.

There was someone on here a while back... I'll dig around and see if I can't find the thread for you this evening.