• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtle_sc

STA-21 Non-select
Just got my surgery date....7 October. Just wondering how it is post-op for everyone. How long did the pain/discomfort last for most people, how was your vision the day after, two-three days after etc. I have read a lot of posts and done a good bit of web surfing. It seems like most people have pain for about three days then they are good to go. The vision after the surgery seems to be the one that varies a lot between person to person. I'm about 20/30 and 20/40 depending on what doctor is checking. What was everyone else's experiences like???? :icon_smil

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
Take the Valium before the surgery, then after ask for something to take home to help you sleep. Pain lasted for 2-3 days, but they gave me meds for it. Vision will be better the 1st day then get worse, don't worry it's normal. I reccomend getting some books on tape to listen to.

turtle_sc

STA-21 Non-select
NeoCortex said:
Take the Valium before the surgery, then after ask for something to take home to help you sleep. Pain lasted for 2-3 days, but they gave me meds for it. Vision will be better the 1st day then get worse, don't worry it's normal. I reccomend getting some books on tape to listen to.

Neo,

When you say it gets worse, how bad is worse? Can you see ok to get around without cracking your melon on the wall? How long did it take before you could drive?? Thanks for the info...

Whalebite

it gets worse because you can see clearly without the epithilium, but then it starts to grow back, as it does it's never perfect even and instantaneous, so it gets in the way. When its done healing its just like your epithilium before surgery, so you can see through it. Think of it like putting in fresh contacts, and wearing them for 4 days, they might start to get dirty and blurry, then you put in a fresh set again and you can see. You can usually drive after the epithilium heals 3-5 days (or the next day for some)

Yes you can see enough to get around just fine, again think of it as dirty contacts.

NeoCortex

pilot
I didn't drive untill the end of week 1, then went back to work, which was a pain, don't do it unless you have to. I would say that it's alittle worse than dirty contacts, but it's not that big of a deal. I'm pretty sure I could watch TV, but it was alittle blurry. I had protective contacts for 4 days, then they took those off, I could see pretty well, got worse, then got better again.

turtle_sc

STA-21 Non-select
Well, I had my pre-op appointment today. Everything is still on for the surgery on the 7th. I'm not looking forward to the first few days afterward, but the end results will be worth it (hopefully). Did everyone have someone drive them home after the surgery, or did some of you drive yourselves? What kinds of meds did everyone get? The standard vitamin M and eyedrops??

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
The after effect of surgery affects people differently. My left eye had a lot of discomfort but was bearable and with the numbing eye drops, not bad at all. My right eye.........well, let's just say I liken it to someone holding the flame of a lighter to my eyeball. Without the numbing eye drops, the pain would have been unbearable. I don't know why it hurt that bad but luckily, it lasted only for about 2 days.

I'm approaching two years and my eyes are still 20/13 each eye. My left eye was actually weaker than my right but has grown stronger over the 2 years while my right hasn't changed. I never had better than 20/20 growing up and I barely passed with 20/30 at my NAMI flight physical in 93. If I had to, I would do this surgery again in a heart beat. The results were simply amazing. Good luck.

NeoCortex

pilot
I had a valium before, and they gave me one to take home to help me sleep, so, no. You won't be driving.

Red2

E-2 NFO. WTI. DH.
None
Even without the drugs you won't be able to see well enough to drive. I couldn't even tell the time off of my wristwatch after the surgery.

turtle_sc

STA-21 Non-select
Well, tommorrow is the day! I have surgery at 0930. Follow up is friday and then again on monday. I hope all goes well. They are giving me all kinds of drops to take along with motrin and percocet. Just from experience, how much did everyone sleep after the surgery? Did you wake up just to put the drops in your eyes, or did you just sleep for along time in between drops? I guess I'm just starting to get a little nervous as the time approaches. Thanks for everyone who has given me input, it has helped a lot. Also, as a side note...has anyone had the surgery performed at portsmouth Navhosp?

Status
Not open for further replies.