• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK, OCS and the 6month wait.

spinspilot

I had a question for my OSO but figured I'd post it here first.
I am planning on getting PRK Mid March and applying for Air,(pilot). What I was wondering was if I had the surgery in March, would that prohibit me from going to OCS before the 6 month (3month?) wait period under another designator, i.e. NFO? The reason I ask is that I would really jump on the opportunity to go to OCS in the summer, which my OSO says would be fairly easy for an NFO slot. On the other hand, I know nothing is guaranteed in terms of switching contracts, which im considering seriously as well. Should I just wait the time, get the contract I want, or try to knock out OCS in the summer? Thoughts?....

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
I am planning on getting PRK Mid March and applying for Air,(pilot). What I was wondering was if I had the surgery in March, would that prohibit me from going to OCS before the 6 month (3month?) wait period under another designator, i.e. NFO? The reason I ask is that I would really jump on the opportunity to go to OCS in the summer, which my OSO says would be fairly easy for an NFO slot. On the other hand, I know nothing is guaranteed in terms of switching contracts, which im considering seriously as well. Should I just wait the time, get the contract I want, or try to knock out OCS in the summer? Thoughts?....

It's not like you walk in, get your eyes cut, and your good to go after that. You have months of medicating and lubricating drops that you need to apply, as well as follow up appointments months out. What are you going to do if your at OCS and a complication occurs?

rjmayer

Well i actually have a similar situation. I just finished talk to my OSO moments ago and our district (indiana) has no NFO slots this year. Why? because very few are being given out because the Marines plan on doing away with NFOs. Think about it, the JSF is replacing everything and it is a single seat jet. He's telling me to go on a ground contract because they have a way more air contracts than ground, but my eyes are no good like yours. So I'm trying for ground and he said that after OCS i will have priority over anyone else for an air contract after the surgery, if i medically qualify. Try for NFO if you can get one, but if not consider ground.

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
The advice given to me that I'll pass on was if you want to be a pilot, do whatever it takes (get your eyes cut) to put yourself in the best possible position beforehand. You do not have control over a lot of what you'll go through, so do what is in your power to better your chances.

rjmayer, in some cases a recruiter may be telling you that just to get you to sign on the dotted line. Switching designators after OCS is possible but very difficult from what I've gathered. It may be different on the green side of the house, but be cautious.

To the OP: I don't think what you're asking is possible, or advisable. You gotta take care of your eyes while they heal and OCS doesn't seem like an environment conducive to surgery recovery.

spitfiremkxiv

Pepe's sandwich
Contributor
I don't know what the rules say, but you'll still be recovering at 3 months post-op, probably addicted to eye drops, and your eyes will be fairly delicate for the rigors of OCS. It's not wise.

Are you OCC or PLC?

spinspilot

It's not like you walk in, get your eyes cut, and your good to go after that. You have months of medicating and lubricating drops that you need to apply, as well as follow up appointments months out. What are you going to do if your at OCS and a complication occurs?
Well put, guess that answers the Question.

Are you OCC or PLC?
OCC

Well i actually have a similar situation. I just finished talk to my OSO moments ago and our district (indiana) has no NFO slots this year.
--Not sure about indiana, but my OSO said no more ground slots available but there are NFO slots, didnt ask about pilot. Regions vary though so I wouldnt know what to tell you, Do what you think is best but heed that warnings that are on the forum. Good luck.

Thanks for the help guys, I really didnt consider the healing time. It would be around september for the 6 mos plus the time to get the waiver and get selected which could take a few tries. Im just praying I dont have to go in the winter..:eek:

capitoljake13

I'm going to temporarily pump some life back into this thread.. i looked for input to a similar situation on marineocs.com (maybe some of you are over there) but it's not as aviation oriented so I haven't had much luck..

I'm meeting with my OSO this week to discuss timeline options and in the meantime, searching for as much information as I can gather. So, I'm hoping some of you all (maybe even some who have gone through process?) can shed some light on a couple questions...

Basics: AeroEng major graduate this may, hoping for air contract, vision worse than 20/40

My OSO first suggested that I go through OCC this summer and get PRK afterward.. then compete for an Air slot. Else, If I get PRK next week, as its scheduled, I would have to wait until Jan OCC (6 month wait to apply for waiver for applicants).

BUT.....

: If I get PRK before Apr. 10, couldn't I complete flight physical to process the waiver at Oct. 10 OCC?

Either way, I gotta think it would be smarter to wait any amount of time and go in with an air contract than to risk the number of slots up for competition after OCS. Unless it's a viable option, cause reducing any amount of time sitting around would be nice.

I thought I'd post this rather than PM a couple people as the 'timeline' seems to be a prominent issue... (esp. with the always-changing PRK guidelines.

rjmayer

DO NOT sign that line and expect anything to change. If you want to get PRK after accepting your bars, you got to do it on the Marine's time and they won't like that. I'm getting PRK after OCS because I'm PLC. I have a whole year to get it done, heal, get a flight physical, and simply change a contract BEFORE I swear in. It's easy to change my contract, because it's as if a new guy just walked in and qualified for an air contract. Once you're in, you have no power over what happens. Get everything squared away first. Yes, you can compete at TBS for NA, but there are no guarantees.

jtmedli

pilot
I'm going to temporarily pump some life back into this thread.. i looked for input to a similar situation on marineocs.com (maybe some of you are over there) but it's not as aviation oriented so I haven't had much luck..

I'm meeting with my OSO this week to discuss timeline options and in the meantime, searching for as much information as I can gather. So, I'm hoping some of you all (maybe even some who have gone through process?) can shed some light on a couple questions...

Basics: AeroEng major graduate this may, hoping for air contract, vision worse than 20/40

My OSO first suggested that I go through OCC this summer and get PRK afterward.. then compete for an Air slot. Else, If I get PRK next week, as its scheduled, I would have to wait until Jan OCC (6 month wait to apply for waiver for applicants).

BUT.....

: If I get PRK before Apr. 10, couldn't I complete flight physical to process the waiver at Oct. 10 OCC?

Either way, I gotta think it would be smarter to wait any amount of time and go in with an air contract than to risk the number of slots up for competition after OCS. Unless it's a viable option, cause reducing any amount of time sitting around would be nice.

I thought I'd post this rather than PM a couple people as the 'timeline' seems to be a prominent issue... (esp. with the always-changing PRK guidelines.

I'm having my touch-up done next week so I can help you out. The Doc' at Beaufort MCAS told me specifically that she could clear my flight physical after a 3 month wait instead of the published 6 month. You will have to call whoever will be doing your flight physical to see if this can be done for you but your OSO can hook that up for you. Worst case scenario is that we end up at OCS together in January, but let's hope for October/September timeframe!!

Also, don't plan to be good to go right after the surgery. I don't wanna put a negative thought in your mind about the surgery but I had a few complications. Hence the touch-up I'm doing. I was supposed to go to OCS this summer, but I got rolled back because of the PRK.

torpedo0126

just so you know, you can tell if you need 6 month vice 3 month by looking at the SNA PRK Waiver application sheet. If your diopter is below a certain amount (5.25 or something) you will be eligible to apply after 3 months.

also remember that just because the Doc gave you the okay on the PRK doesn't mean your cleared for OCS. You merely applied for a waiver and that has to go through Pensacola first.

torpedo0126

There is something like 2 slots at TBS for air. I don't remember exactly, but its not many. So you will need to kick ass at TBS to get it.

jtmedli

pilot
just so you know, you can tell if you need 6 month vice 3 month by looking at the SNA PRK Waiver application sheet. If your diopter is below a certain amount (5.25 or something) you will be eligible to apply after 3 months.

also remember that just because the Doc gave you the okay on the PRK doesn't mean your cleared for OCS. You merely applied for a waiver and that has to go through Pensacola first.

I understood this last point. However, my diopter was about 1.5 so that makes sense there!! Thanks