• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK for NROTC

Lucky 8

All,

I am a NROTC 2/c MIDN with a -2.25 contact perscription correctible to 20/20. For the last 2 years I've been under the impression that I could pay for my own PRK surgery done sometime before my pre commissioning physical and I would be good to go as a potential SNA. The other night my buddy who's dad is an O-6 NFO told me that getting PRK on my own would disqualify me for SNA. Is he full of it, or am I correct? I've also read about the contact waiver on the NAMI website and considered that a possible option. I'd greatly appreciate any advice.

V/R

UMichfly

pilot
None
He's full of it... There is a recovery period of either 3 months or 6 months depending on your pre-op refraction (for yours it should be 3 months I believe) after which you can apply for a PRK waiver. As long as you keep your command apprised of your situation and plans, there should be 0 issue with you getting PRK on your own dime. Take a look at the NAMI waiver guide if you want the whole instruction verbatim.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Your buddies dad may be thinking of earlier times when PRK wasn't a widely accepted way of getting up to SNA vision standards.

Wudgles

Cause I am most ill and I'm rhymin' and stealin'
pilot
PRK is good to go as long as you get approved via proper channels. One of my roommates right now is a PRK success story that got picked up for SNA. Good luck!

ajohn921

pilot
None
All,

I am also a 2/C MIDN looking to enter the aviation community, but in need of corrective surgery. I've tried asking unit staff and recently commisioned ENSs/2LTs when I need to be qualified by but nobody can give me specific details. I can't get a hold of a nearby flight surgeon either.

Obviously selection packets are submitted in the spring, but when do I have to take my flight physical? Would it be before sending in my package, before or after designation? Do I need to be visually qualified for my flight physical? Some have told me I need to be qualified by the time of commissioning, some by time of designation, some before designation. Can anyone provide gouge on that or provide official Navy instructions on when a MIDN needs to be qualified?

Also, do I need to be visually qualified to go on a 1/C Aviation cruise?

Thank you for all the help.

V/r

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
wrt your last question, on my aviation cruise this past summer, there weretwo guys who wanted sna but were disqualified because of their vision. i dont know if it varies for each unit so ymmv. i had my flight physical 2nd semester my junior year, and my LT. scheduled it for the 4 of us who want sna, so i wouldnt really about having to plan it, just go when and where you're told.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Technically, the O-6 is correct. Any type of eye surgery is disqualifying, BUT, you can get a waiver. Once the waiver is approved, you are in. Good luck.

-ea6bflyr ;)

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
I'm a 2/c as well...planning on getting my eyes tazed this December (2010) and allowing myself enough time to get a flight physical done in late May (2011) after I come back from study abroad.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you are thinking about getting ANY type of eye surgery, make sure you get the appropriate counseling. If you are a MIDN, make sure you are talking with your advisor. If you are a civilian, make sure your are talking with your recruiter. Bottom line is that you need to know the implications of what you are about to do along with the possible outcomes if the surgery doesn't correct you to 20/20.

-ea6bflyr ;)

ajohn921

pilot
None
I understand all the implications of getting the surgery and what disqualifies me from flight, but my advisors are no help to me as none of them have any experience with PRK, nor do the newly commissioned Ensigns.

My advisor cant give me a specific date on when I need to get my flight physical and whether or not I need my vision good to go for that. Is the physical taken before service selection, after designation, or prior to commissioning? Do my eyes have to see 20/20 for my flight physical or do they have to be 20/20 for API?

Thanks for the help.

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
I understand all the implications of getting the surgery and what disqualifies me from flight, but my advisors are no help to me as none of them have any experience with PRK, nor do the newly commissioned Ensigns.

My advisor cant give me a specific date on when I need to get my flight physical and whether or not I need my vision good to go for that. Is the physical taken before service selection, after designation, or prior to commissioning? Do my eyes have to see 20/20 for my flight physical or do they have to be 20/20 for API?

Thanks for the help.

From what I've seen, latest you're going to be going to your flight physical is August of your senior year....more than likely, it'll be earlier. I'd imagine you need to be fully qualified for SNA in order for you to put SNA on your selection sheet. Get the surgery this semester...there's not point in pushing it back to the 11th hour.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.